Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Polarity 4333b

Wiring Polarity 4333b

Hello, given that the 4333b are inverting (red / negative - black / positive) in the terminal blocks ..... you could give me the right internal wiring. I have green-green / black, white-white / black - Yellow-yellow / black .... which ones do I connect to the red buttons of the transducers inside?

Network 3133B
    4333B.pdf
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

TLDR version is that the black stripe on JBL internal wiring goes to the black terminal on the driver.

Well, thanks, it is the same connection that I use in my speakers or wiring with black stripe that goes on the black clamps of the drivers ... .. however I had the doubt that by black clamp driver meant wiring without black stripe.

I'd truly love to know how both of you ( Paul001 + Riley Casey ) wrongly arrive at your wiring convention conclusions ( given the pdf instructions were previously posted by LHF member "Odd" ) .

Here's the wiring convention for the 3133a from that pdf ( now seen as a picture ) .

Name:  JBL 4333B_network_polarity_convention_.png
Views: 945
Size:  94.9 KB

The pictogram handily shows how to orient the drivers so as to properly wire them ( that being; drivers viewed face down and terminals at the bottom ).

Granted, the tweeter pic really isn't helpful here ( nor intuitive ) since JBL PRO tweeters generally have the terminals set in 180 degree polar opposites .
    - ( JBL assumes the reader "knows" which color terminal on the driver gives positive pressure with a positive pulse > generally "black" for the "Legacy" drivers but it's always worth checking ).
    - ( that said, the Yellow wire goes to Black terminal on the 077 )

Name:  JBL 4333B_network.png
Views: 436
Size:  100.7 KB

From Giskards ( 4313B's ) L300, 4333 "BandPass" equivalent thread.

Here's his equivalent circuit.

The reason for posting this is to show that the woofer and horn mid sections are wired with identical polarities while the polarity of the UHF is flipped in comparison to those two.

Thanks Earl, my 33 with the test of the AA stack with the positive come towards the inside so they are right. My colors are green on the red button of the 2231, white on the red button of the 2420 and finally yellow on the red button of the 2405. It would seem that the yellow thread goes on the black button of 2405?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul001 View Post
    Thanks Earl, my 33 with the test of the AA stack with the positive come towards the inside so they are right. My colors are green on the red button of the 2231, white on the red button of the 2420 and finally yellow on the red button of the 2405. It would seem that the yellow thread goes on the black button of 2405?
    Amazing, ( the persistence of this Cognitive Disconnect ).

Once someone has been told that the "+" terminal of a driver is the Black button, why would they persist in treating it like it's the negative terminal ?

The following pic clearly shows the Green +/or White wires being connected to the drivers "+" terminal.

I truly don't understand how anyone would think those two wires would be connected to anything but the black terminals ( of the associated JBL drivers ) .

the reason is simple, if I connect an AA battery in the back of the 4333 with the positive on the black connector the woofer comes forward as it should be

the reason is simple, if I connect an AA battery in the back of the 4333 with the positive on the black connector the woofer comes forward as it should be
    Thanks!

You're confusion results from;

The whole "Black = Positive" applies only to the drivers ( Legacy ) not the connectors found on the back of speaker boxes .

this is right, but if I had the wrong connection the woofer would go outwards by connecting the AA battery with the positive on the red of the 4333 ..... in this case it goes inwards so it is right!

this is right, but if I had the wrong connection the woofer would go outwards by connecting the AA battery with the positive on the red of the 4333 ..... in this case it goes inwards so it is right!

That's another misconception of yours that needs to be put to rest >> the schematic is quite clear as to the internal wiring.

If you follow the wiring layout of the schematics > when you touch the positive pole of a battery to the Red connector ( found on the back of the speaker box ) the woofer cone will move outwards ( assuming you connected the networks Green wire to the Black connector ( as found on the woofer ) .

ok practically my connections are right but completely inverted .... however I seem to know that the 4333 are inverting from the technical specifications as a whole .... in fact I connect the positive of the amplification to the black of the 4333.

How was that an incorrect answer? It quite literally describes the state of the wiring diagram without the diagram. If you refer instead to the polarity inversion that JBL observed when these speakers were current product that's a different question with a different answer. Otherwise I'm not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I'd truly love to know how both of you ( Paul001 + Riley Casey ) wrongly arrive at your wiring convention conclusions ( given the pdf instructions were previously posted by LHF member "Odd" ) .

I remember a JBL technical bulletin in which he clearly described the 4333 as an inverting speaker in which the positive of the amplifier was connected to the black clamp (terminal block).
    If I connected the green cable of the crossover to the black button of the 2231H the woofer with the AA battery test would come out and this would not be authentic to the technical bulletin of inverting diffuser

Thread Information