Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canīt decide - Canīt listen to them all. Please help!

RMC is absolutely correct on the directivity requirements of monitors vs home speakers, in fact I've read JBL literature that talks about the monitors' design giving a narrow dispersion so that the sound not directed at the Engineer is significantly attenuated and produces much less energy for reflections in what JBL expects to often be a reflective / non-optimum room.

The LSR6332/LSR32 is a great monitor for the money (I prefer the 32's carbon-fiber baffle for the cool appearance) but IME does need a subwoofer. I was a bit disappointed in the LF rolloff of the LSR6312P as it doesn't add much to the bottom, but what frequencies it does do it does very well. We found the LSR6312P worked very well with the LSR6328P which are amazing for their size, but still near/mid-field monitors and highly directional (by design).

Decide whether you want to play to a single listener or "sweet spot" or fill a room with music, then choose a speaker design. I've had several designs that make a great pair of headphones.
    - Jeff

It appears our friend Peter who started this thread did buy himself L65 Speakers. Congrats!

I think he related to me that the Bass Drivers need a re-foam and will do this very soon. If these are the L65A, then by right they should have the 122A Drivers. And of course hopefully the correct x-over network.

Are there any special notes on the 122A Driver, besides of course gluing the foam surround to the rear of the cone.

Were the cones on the 122A all the same diameter? I know the 126A had different diameter cones.

I gather that yes, the 122A also had a variety of cone size diameters.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    It appears our friend Peter who started this thread did buy himself L65 Speakers. Congrats!

I think he related to me that the Bass Drivers need a re-foam and will do this very soon. If these are the L65A, then by right they should have the 122A Drivers. And of course hopefully the correct x-over network.

Are there any special notes on the 122A Driver, besides of course gluing the foam surround to the rear of the cone.

Were the cones on the 122A all the same diameter? I know the 126A had different diameter cones.

I gather that yes, the 122A also had a variety of cone size diameters.

I did and i am certainly very happy. All i need now is a decent foam kit (loonytune2001 - thanks to @markd51 for the hint).
    However, i need to ask some very distantly related relatives to have them shipping the kit over to Europe. When that is done, ill have
    them refoamed. Just looking at them makes me drool- what a georgeous piece of equipment

Discussing the cone diameter with Peter, he claims from the measurements he has taken of his 122A Drivers, that the cone diameter is 244mm, which equates to what, 9.6", correct?

Appears folks such as Looneytune2001, Midwest Speaker or Simply Speakers will not ship to Germany though. Hmm.

I think all you folks here will agree, a foam surround that is either slightly too large, or slightly too small isn't going to cut it. That either trying to stretch, or shrink the surround will be a problem with the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

I did and i am certainly very happy. All i need now is a decent foam kit (loonytune2001 - thanks to @markd51 for the hint).
    However, i need to ask some very distantly related relatives to have them shipping the kit over to Europe. When that is done, ill have
    them refoamed. Just looking at them makes me drool- what a georgeous piece of equipment
    For sure Peter, if I didn't like my L-65 Jubals for whatever reason, I surely would not have kept 4 of them all these years.

It is a speaker that I always have been very fond of.

It seems strange that Rick ( Looneytune2001)will not send to Germany.
    I have bought from him many times and he has delivered to Europe.
    Could it be ebay that will not ship?

Rick can be contacted directly by email.
    [email protected]
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    It seems strange that Rick ( Looneytune2001)will not send to Germany.
    I have bought from him many times and he has delivered to Europe.
    Could it be ebay that will not ship?

Rick can be contacted directly by email.
    [email protected]
    Thank for this information, I let Peter know about what you have said.

Of where he then chooses to order the surrounds from, that I assume will be his choice.
    My goals were to provide him all the options that I was aware of.

The tech that he will take them to is one thing he/we were unsure of, if they will have the correct required size Surrounds for these particular Drivers?

I know of the high importance to do such repair of a speaker correctly the first time, that there cannot be the excuse of "well, it should be OK, and they weren't a perfect fit, but it's the best I can do", is not good enough!

I know nothing of who's available in Germany-Europe for such parts? Sure, he might wait 2-4 weeks to get them from whomever in USA, but in the meantime he has a pair of 4311's to listen to.

I apologize to all for standing in and speaking for Peter quite a bit in this thread, but only wishing to help him, and with the hopes that in the end he will have accomplished his needs and have a mighty fine pair of L-65's to enjoy for a long time.

Thread Information