I stumbled on some really rough JBL 4560 cabinets and four early d130's, all different, one with the Ampex badge one Jim Lansing smooth back, all 8 ohm, reconed. Also got these Meyer 1402's, 16 ohm, haven't been able to find much about them. Early Altec looking blue bodies, maybe the same as th 1401? I would love to pair the woofers with some JBLs drivers, but I don't foresee being able to afford that anytime soon. Designing a crossover is WAY out of my depth math wise and as much as I know I should start by learning all the theory and math I need to, that's just not something I'm going to have the time for, as much as I'd love to. The little I do know I've taught myself, I can repair/build old amps following a schematic for the most part, use a meter, etc, just the basics, and fabricate anything I'd need. So I really just want to get these in use without too much hassle, maybe start with just a cap for the drivers, start listening and then dialing it in. Any suggestions? I've looked at the n2400, n2600, je labs simple crossover, adjusted for my drivers would one of those be a good design, I haven't found the schematic for either jbl crossover though. I know, I'm pretty clueless, still learning the basic principles of speaker and crossover design, I'm hoping to get all the help I can. Thank's for any help, I really appreciate it, but if anyones only advice is to get a book on electrical theory and start reading, maybe don't chime in, it's already noted.

As for the rest of it, I'd love any input as far as the cabinets. They are way to big for my space and in rough shape but could be made into some industrial looking beauties with a lil work. I've read that as bass horns they lack a lot of bass. Mine are the ones with a horn on top of the woofer. If I keep them I'll probably have to cut them down, remove the ports top and bottom and make them into a simple enclosure, just keeping the wave guides. I'm guessing this would mean even less bass, which is fine by me, I don't listen to much Skryllex. To my ear they sound beautiful, I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on their sound/value but the reproduction of acoustic instruments is the most lifelike I've heard. Do the old Altec 15'' drivers really sound that much better, more base? Maybe in the future I could use them as the basis of some Altec A7's if I ever have that kind of space. would it be sacrilege to start butchering them? Also in the event I am one day able to afford them, what Altec or James B. Lansing drivers and horns would be a good pairing for that smooth back d130?

Here's the only info I've found from Meyer paired with ms15 low frequency driver in 500a system;

highpass slope 12db per octave

lowpass slope 6db per octave
cutoff 1000hz
running a Dynaco st70
http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/a/a7ca3576-4733-40a6-98c8-fc979b253f63.pdf

Thanks for any and all help, Evan!