Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New Veneer for top of 4343

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    34

    New Veneer for top of 4343

    One of my 4343's was damaged while moving recently and I decided to repair it. I replaced the old veneer with new only on the top and also repainted the baffles. Now I need to find out what type of finish to use that will match the old veneer and the other speaker. Any suggestions?

    Robt.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by rwwear; 09-19-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added pics

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    2

    Simple is best

    Judging from the pic the original, it was almost certainly done with linseed oil based finish due to the period and lack of any red/orange tone. I'd simply wipe on Watco Oil with a lint free rag and wipe off the excess according to label directions. Assuming you have left over veneer, try some tests with just Natural, just Dark Walnut and mixtures of both. Keep in mind the linseed oil in the Watco will darken some more over time.

    There are many more sophisticated techniques but likely you don't need another hobby. DON'T use polyurethane unless the speakers are going in a Frat House and much beer will be spilled. Polyurethane will be plasticky looking and not match the original low lustre.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by B Scarpia View Post
    Judging from the pic the original, it was almost certainly done with linseed oil based finish due to the period and lack of any red/orange tone. I'd simply wipe on Watco Oil with a lint free rag and wipe off the excess according to label directions. Assuming you have left over veneer, try some tests with just Natural, just Dark Walnut and mixtures of both. Keep in mind the linseed oil in the Watco will darken some more over time.

    There are many more sophisticated techniques but likely you don't need another hobby. DON'T use polyurethane unless the speakers are going in a Frat House and much beer will be spilled. Polyurethane will be plasticky looking and not match the original low lustre.
    Thanks for replying B Scarpia. I used linseed oil and it looks close. I also used red root oil which added a slightly reddish tone. Woodworking is one of my many hobbies BTW.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rwwear View Post
    Thanks for replying B Scarpia. I used linseed oil and it looks close. I also used red root oil which added a slightly reddish tone. Woodworking is one of my many hobbies BTW.
    Well, in that case, get crazy with Mohawk Ultra Flow Toners ;-}

    Spray lacquer that uses dyes, not pigments like their Classic to subtly alter color.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by B Scarpia View Post
    Well, in that case, get crazy with Mohawk Ultra Flow Toners ;-}

    Spray lacquer that uses dyes, not pigments like their Classic to subtly alter color.
    Thanks for the suggestion. But I believe I'll leave well enough alone. It looks good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. L100 veneer
    By Donald in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM
  2. L88 re-veneer
    By qcautosports in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
  3. Veneer help please
    By macaroonie in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
  4. L112 re-veneer
    By John W in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
  5. L200 in Oak Veneer?
    By Audiokarma in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •