Thread: JBL N1200 replace or rebuild

JBL N1200 replace or rebuild

Hi. I just need some advice. I have an N1200 crossover, it's in a cabinet with a LE175, and a D131 (and a Tannoy direct radiator). The Le 175 is working but it's not very loud. You can barely hear it. I was thinking about getting the crossover rebuilt, but then I read somewhere it's better to leave it original, and just get a new crossover built from the n1200 schematics and use it. Basically that the n1200 is worth more in it's original form than it is with new parts...but then I'm thinking what use is it just sitting there out of the cabinet?... just need some advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

Could be the crossover, have you tried swapping the driver with a known good working one from another speaker?
    Do a tone sweep test with a small amp directly connected to the driver.

Chances are the crossover is filled with wax holding the caps and coils in place, melting the wax out is about
    the only way to re-cap them.
    You could open it up and check the switch and resistor connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Could be the crossover, have you tried swapping the driver with a known good working one from another speaker?
    Do a tone sweep test with a small amp directly connected to the driver.

Chances are the crossover is filled with wax holding the caps and coils in place, melting the wax out is about
    the only way to re-cap them.
    You could open it up and check the switch and resistor connections.
    I hooked up the LE175 by itself and played music through it at a low volume. It sounded very good, crystal clear . With it hooked up to the crossover it also sounds good, but you just can't hear it over the two 12s. You have to put your ear right up to it. I think the crossover is stifling the volume if that makes sense. I don't know how to a proper tone sweep test other than what I did with my ear.

and yes, the crossover is filled with wax. I was going to send it out to get rebuilt . Just wasn't sure if should have a new crossover built to the same specs or rebuild this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesignal View Post
    I hooked up the LE175 by itself and played music through it at a low volume. It sounded very good, crystal clear . With it hooked up to the crossover it also sounds good, but you just can't hear it over the two 12s. You have to put your ear right up to it. I think the crossover is stifling the volume if that makes sense. I don't know how to a proper tone sweep test other than what I did with my ear.

and yes, the crossover is filled with wax. I was going to send it out to get rebuilt . Just wasn't sure if should have a new crossover built to the same specs or rebuild this one.
    With that test it sounds like the driver is OK.

Check the connections on the level control switch the resistors and for any broken
    wires, you should be able to get to those with the crossover cover removed.
    Also look for broken resistors.

Most likely it's bad caps.

If the crossover is not working it does not have much value, I would rebuild it using the same housing, the switch may be able to be used over and maybe the coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    With that test it sounds like the driver is OK.

Check the connections on the level control switch the resistors and for any broken
    wires, you should be able to get to those with the crossover cover removed.
    Also look for broken resistors.

Most likely it's bad caps.

If the crossover is not working it does not have much value, I would rebuild it using the same housing, the switch may be able to be used over and maybe the coils.
    Thanks . I will have it rebuilt.

Thread Information