Thread: JBL 4349 Stands

JBL 4349 Stands

While waiting for my new 4349s to show up, I began thinking about which stands to purchase for them. I bought a pair of the JBL JS-120 stands recently for a pair of L112s that I had, and they worked very nicely. However, with my mid-field listening position the sound-field was lower than I preferred. Earlier, as I was experimenting with the L112s, I propped them high up on 24" tall stands. I really liked how they sounded in that configuration.

Deer Creek Audio sells some great, sturdy stands for the 4349s, but I hesitated as I still had in the back of my mind the favorable impression of the L112s on the 24" tall stands.

The other day I was visiting a friend who has an assortment of 80/20 extruded aluminum. He had a few sticks of 3" stock which he told me that he would never use, so we came to an agreement and I cobbled together a pair of stands. Obviously they are way overkill, and hideously stout. However, the price was right and they break down into easily for storage and shipping, which is important for me right now.

I am posting the pictures here to serve as an idea for others who might be looking for an alternative to the currently available stands for the 4349s. The JBL rep told me that they are coming out with a new, specific stand for them, as the JS-120 is arguably too small and spindly looking for them. He didn't tell me when they would be available for purchase though.

Did I mention how stable they are? I briefly entertained the idea of filling the extrusion void with sand to make them more inert. I don't know if I'll ever get to it.
    The moment after taking these pictures I began breaking them down and packing them for shipping. Once I tested the speaker drivers with a tone generator they went back into their boxes and into a shipping crate. It will be several months until I am able to listen to them as we are moving.Name:  original_c3bab5c1-dbe8-4971-b9b5-29f4522bdaec_20210813_170926.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  160.4 KBName:  original_fbaff7b0-a2e2-4525-91ea-71f379006b00_20210813_171021.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  192.1 KB

I like those a lot. Very nicely done, clean, simple, yet look rock solid. Can they then be filled with Sand, or Lead Shot if desired? Such I would think would add a whole lot of stability, that everything is going to stay firmly planted.

Wishing you the very best of luck and happiness with your upcoming move!

Thank you Markd51.
    My wife thinks the speakers are hideous and that the stands are as appropriately gross.

As you can see in the attached photo, the centre voids could easily be filled with shot or sand. I suppose that I could even fill the horizontal pieces with epoxy resin and shot if the spirit moved me. I don't think that I will go that far. My days of endless experimentation are over.

I stood on top and jiggled around a bit. Solid!

Oh, for the curious; the stands are 18" tall x 17.5" wide x 11.5" deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I really like the construction, and the materials. Remind me of Sound Anchor Stands.

I bet your speakers sound fantastic! All looks mighty darn fine to me!

Thread Information