Hey all, apologies if the wrong sub forum, but am looking to figure out what kind of mids to incorporate into my system. I run active setup with a DBX Driverack 260.

The bass will be a JBL2245, and the HF unit for now is a Celestion CDX1-1745 on a QSC clone guide. Not all JBL, no, but a starting point. I suppose the go to would be to flow the 4345 design principles?

The usual 4345 crossing the 2245 over at 290hz (IIRC) seems to be quite common. My boxes for the 2245 are 8 cubic foot and was considering initially just using them as subs ala the B460. The internet is full of 2 way designs and the like, and folk like Zilch developed the the Econowave, which is very well documented. Choosing a design of finding inspiration for one is tough. Fortunately the HF section is documented elsewhere and isn't totally alien. The 2245 in 8cf is familiar enough, that I am not concerned about how they will perform. It's picking the mid to fill the hole that has be scratching my head.

Assuming I want to keep it as JBL as possible, I have considered a range of drivers from 10-15" including the 2123h, 2251j, 2206h, 2225/6h and so on. It would seem if taking the 2245 to almost 300hz, the 2123h is a wise choice. Using a 1" HF unit now means I need to cross higher than say a 2445. The Celestion can be crossed low enough that a 12 isn't out of the question, and some designs like Pi4's from Parnham cross a 15" to a 1".

The 15" is a lot less appealing with a 2245 in the mix. I don't know if I am looking to clone anything specific at this point. The 2251j is a 10" but usually found in quads and 16ohm. I realize they're not 2123h drop ins, but they are more current 10" offerings and a little more common. I don't think I want an MTM setup. Not sure how hifi folks employ (or if they do) the 2251j.

Sourcing many of these drivers isn't as easy as it was a few years ago even. Naturally the 2206 and 2226 are a little more common finds given their age or lack of. I've considered alternative brands, but that pursuit led me to "we don't have any to send you, but we charged your card" and am getting fed up waiting on bad actors, and have a big hole in my setup.

TLR - I am looking for a 10-15" driver to go between a 2245h and 1" driver. Not sure if I go with a higher XO 3 way or like a 2 way with a sub.