Thread: Anybody using dsp / active amplification on JBL 4430

Anybody using dsp / active amplification on JBL 4430

Hello from Germany

Would be great to Share some experience…
    What Settings are you using?

I am running mine on Crown xti Amps, using the internal dsp.
    one Amp per Speaker.

(I am doing the Same with 4425‘s)

Looking forward for your response

Chris

[QUOTE=Chris_K.;437490]Hello from Germany

Would be great to Share some experienceÂ…

one Amp per Speaker.

Chris[/QUOTE
    Im in the process of restoring a pair of 4430's which will be using seperate amps for each driver and DSP. The main concern is extending the 2421A crossover to 800hz @ 24db/ octave. Some contributors cast doubt on the drivers ability to deliver high quality sound ,sounding. "Shouty PA like" over stressing the diaphragm by increasing excursion. JBLs own figures for the transducer and the horn's ability to work to 800hz convey a different story. I believe the 4430 will benifit enormously from an active crossover and improvement to cabinet sound damping. What have been your experiences ?

Hello

Im in the process of restoring a pair of 4430's which will be using seperate amps for each driver and DSP.
    => great - absolutely lovely idea!

The main concern is extending the 2421A
    => I personaly use 2426‘s

crossover to 800hz @ 24db/ octave.
    => with my driver, this is feasible

Some contributors cast doubt on the drivers ability to deliver high quality sound ,sounding. "Shouty PA like" over stressing the diaphragm by increasing excursion.
    => I Never experienced That!

JBLs own figures for the transducer and the horn's ability to work to 800hz convey a different story.
    => JBL typically Shares real data

I believe the 4430 will benifit enormously from an active crossover and improvement to cabinet sound damping. What have been your experiences ?
    => I Never used a passive Xover. I am extremely happy with Sound, musicality, impact, tonal accuracy, stage-ing. I can Not imagine how to progress in the Moment!

[QUOTE=Chris_K.;437490]Hello from Germany

Would be great to Share some experience…

one Amp per Speaker.

Chris

The project is still a work in progress. Tannoy TDX 1 provides the DSP horsepower, AD, Digital i/p & DA, crossovers, HF 6db/oct shelving and comprehensive EQ. Crown DC300A’s power amps. The 2421A’s have the original aluminium diagrams, which after hearing the concerns of other contributors regarding crossing over at 800hz I may swap out for Radian 1225 aluminium replacements. Also the 1225 surrounds are synthetic as opposed to aluminium which may create a better termination for the aluminium diaphragm, might even sound smoother? They are also lower mass than a replacement titanium diaphragm. The magnetic circuit strength was increased slightly in later 4430 compression drivers, maybe to compensate for the increased mass of the more rugged titanium diaphragm? Extra damping and mass has been added to the back cover of the 2421A and the foam inside 2124A rear cover replaced. The curved ‘cheeks' of HF horn have been extended backwards with sound absorbing material to reduce any edge diffraction. Mod. to the cabinets, interior damping replaced with 40kg/ m3 memory foam. This will effect the LF reflex tuning which will need to be addressed, but it should also help reduce any lower mid colorations. 2235H’s original cones, surrounds refoamed.

Thread Information