Thread: JBL L166 066 Tweeter Removal Help

Question JBL L166 066 Tweeter Removal Help

Hi everyone!

Recently acquired a pair of JBL L166. One of them had a damaged 066 that I would like to remove and replaced. I already sourced a 066 and itÂ’s on the way. During the disassembly I removed the three retaking screws and the front and to my surprise the speaker is still firmly resting in the cabinet. I took a picture of the back with my phone and canÂ’t seem to figure out why it wonÂ’t budge. Before I go and apply unneeded forceÂ…does anyone have any tips to removing this stuck tweeter. Did I miss a step in the disassembly? TIA

Name:  6775D678-5A21-4D39-839E-7B0FD38C0710.jpeg
Views: 428
Size:  20.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jcasanas90; 07-16-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Picture

Heat is the missing element.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hello Jcasanas90, if I remember when I took mine apart 35 years ago the 066 tweeter had a little thin rubber like gasket on the outside front of the tweeter. This helped make a air tight seal. I you have a thick dowel rod put it in a thick sock and lightly tap around the front flange of the driver. Best have a pillow or someone to catch it so you don’t bend a bidding post when it drops inside the cabinet

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like tomorrow I’ll be trying a combination of what you’ve suggested. I’ll use a hair dryer to warm up whatever gasket has adhered over the years and then gently tap and see if I can’t free it up. I’ll let you know if my results.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Hello Jcasanas90, if I remember when I took mine apart 35 years ago the 066 tweeter had a little thin rubber like gasket on the outside front of the tweeter. This helped make a air tight seal. I you have a thick dowel rod put it in a thick sock and lightly tap around the front flange of the driver. Best have a pillow or someone to catch it so you don’t bend a bidding post when it drops inside the cabinet
    Should I stress about sourcing these gaskets to replace? Do you know of they are available through anyone? It would be a shame to go through the trouble of sprucing up these speakers and overlooking a detail that could bring them back closer to factory spec. TIA

Wow thanks everyone! Use hair dryer and worked around the perimeter of the speaker. One gentle tap with a rubber mallet on a wooden dowel popped it out beautifully without damage. No sign of any kind of gasket or glue holding it. Thanks again! Onward!

Name:  6D481D2E-EE7E-4AAC-80AD-C773B9A2F783.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  19.4 KB

Heat!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information