Thread: JBL CL45 Flairs - How good is this vintage S4 system??

JBL CL45 Flairs - How good is this vintage S4 system??

Hi, I'm a first time poster here and looking for some advice and knowledge. I'm the original owner of a pair of CL45 Flairs, serial #'s 10663 & 10664 with the S4 system, 130a, LE175 driver, H91 horn & L91 lens with the N1200 dividing network. I don't have the ears or a suitable location to listen to them anymore and I've not been able to get much info on them and looking for your help.

In 1972 I worked in Montreal as a shipper for the Canadian importer & distributor for JBL and I was lucky enough to buy the L100 Century, CL45 and a Harmon Kardon HK930. But now after almost 50 years it's time to pass these lovelies on. Actually being in a duplex for the past 30 years I haven't/couldn't let the speakers really sing as I probably did in my younger days... especially the CL45's, so actually, they have only been played a few times in almost 50 years. Aside for a divot in one 130a and a cut in the other, the cones are actually in great shape and working condition. The cabinets are also in good condition but have some shallow markings on top of the veneer that can be seen in the photos. In the N1200 photo I've hid my engraved SIN (ID#) which was the way often used back then to identify stolen equipment. Not a good idea anymore... BTW: in addition to working in the shipping department I also did some re-coning of JBL woofers so I've thought of patching or re-coning the 130a's but have had some advice to just leave them "as is". The buyer could then decide what they want to do. Suggestions?

I know very little about the CL45's and haven't been able to get an idea how good or popular the S4 system really is. Also I need help with what price range could I expect on them. I guess being in Kamloops BC Canada, a small market, it's unrealistic to ship them complete due to the enclosure size, so if they have to be picked up it probably means a road trip from Vancouver or Alberta. Maybe selling the HK930, the L100's and the Flairs as a package might make a road trip more enticing...

Anyone have some experience with the CL45's? Any help in what's a reasonable price and any performance info on them would be very helpful. Is the S4 configuration a good setup? Due to the pickup only, I'm thinking of listing them first on Canuck Audio Mart and Kijiji.

Thanks for any help, Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Am I in the wrong forum?

Having been referred to this Lansing Heritage Forum and looking around, I saw the vast amount of info, help and knowledge here so I posted to pick your brains about my CL45's. After 2 days there have been no replies or comments/suggestions. If I'm in the wrong forum can someone please direct me to where I should post or is there just little interest or experience with the S4 system?
    - Thanks, Bill

You are in the right forum.

This is not a large forum and now it's summer.

Soon someone will come to help.
    I can not help with info about S4
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

I'm no help either but saw this thread that has some applicable comments and a couple links.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...45-S4-speakers

Thanks to Rusty and Odd. I have seen that thread and checked out those links. That's where I got the info that my Flair 45 is S4. There is some confusion (especially me) with the different names being used. C45, L45, CL45 and the Flair configurations, S1, S8 etc., etc. Having problems finding SOLD prices on the S4's. For me, HiFiShark doesn't differentiate between SOLD and CLOSED listings so I don't know if it's showing Sold Price or Ask Price and again for me I can't find a link to the actual listing for details and pics.

I've had the 2 sets of speakers for ~50 years but only listened to the 100's daily with the HK930, loved their sound. With age my music tastes changed and the volume went to background mode so now have decided to see what interest there is in my babies. I just found out that this Forum also has a forum to list equipment. That thread is available to see only if you are signed in. I sometimes use a ipad (not signed) to browse the forum in and was missing out on some of this site's options.

Thanks again for replying and letting me know that this site is active. Hopefully others will stop by and offer some of their knowledge, experience and price advice on my setup. Hey, maybe make an offer... Kamloops is a great place for a road trip....

Did I have the horn lens on wrong for 50 years??

I installed a frequency generator app on an ipad and ran some tests on both systems. In addition to showing that the speakers were working well, I guess it also showed that the networks were also good. I now remember that the L100 123a's are Loooonnng excursion speakers. I couldn't hear 20 hertz, but could sure see the cone and feel the air move. The 130a's performed perfect too. My hearing topped out at about 12,000 but ran it up higher. I'm assuming if I had a dog he'd still be hiding...

Had a laugh. For 50 years I had the L100's sideways on top the vertical standing CL45's and the L91 lens horizontal with the fins angled up. I now see that maybe I should have had them horizontal but pointing down.... Oh well they still sounded great!

Many years ago I had a pair of L45 with a S8 system in it. At the time I was living in a tenement and roommates would help me put them on the roof on weekends and it seemed like the whole neighborhood came alive. Really great times. As a value condition is everything.

Thread Information