Thread: Add an ultra high frequency unit at the top of 4430

Add an ultra high frequency unit at the top of 4430

Hi,

I would like to add an ultra high frequency unit at the top of 4430 in order to (presume that) the overall high frequency performance will be changed when play HD digital files... any models, suggestions please advice.

I guess the obvious JBL suggestion for VHF tweeter would be the 2405 going out to 20khz while having reasonably flat response. Not that large coverage difference horizontally near the top end vs 2404. However, vertically not as good coverage as the 2404.

if tweeter rated coverage is more important to match horn coverage spec (specially vertically) then you might consider the 2404. However, not as flat response as 2405 and a bit short of 20khz.

I guess it comes down to what you're looking for, what's more important to you and how you listen to music (e.g. SPL, coverage, response, etc).

For example, recently i purchased a pair of Asian tweeters being reasonably flat out to 25khz, but these sure won't match the sound levels produced by the above JBLs.

Naturally, the above assumes your hearing is still good up to 20khz, if not you might be spending money for little or no gain...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Naturally, the above assumes your hearing is still good up to 20khz, if not you might be spending money for little or no gain...
    couple of years back I tried a basic sweep to hear what I couldn't.

topped out at 14khz and was OK with that , but have read that even if you can't hear VH or VL freqs, you can feel them and that does play into the overall experience. ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

4430 Tweeter

Hi 4344. I'll be doing the same thing soon. I have 4435s and I'll be adding 2405s to them. I already have the 2405s. The crossover will be high pass only and come in at 12khz 12db/oct with a Lpad. I'm going to make a holder out of walnut and set them just above the horn. Gary

Wolf,

Yours is an interesting post. Made me realize i can't recall ever testing my hearing even though i have a test LP and a CD that both sweep 20-20khz. Plus tweeters on-hand that are pretty flat out to 25khz.

Simply have to put a capacitor at say 5+khz in series with the tweets during the test for driver protection. Don't need to be loud. Will have to try this when i get time. In the meantime i tend to think that my ears may do 15-16 khz? They have a few years less than yours and were not subject to military traning noise. We'll see.

RE "but have read that even if you can't hear VH or VL freqs, you can feel them and that does play into the overall experience.?"

I agree with regards to VLF, at some point you feel them more than you hear them. As for VHF i'm not convinced that one can actually feel them physically, though a poweful targeted VHF attack on someone may cause brain damage or psychological issues?

Fostex makes super tweeters. However, looking at the pic i don't see how one could get acceptably wide driver coverage pattern (dispersion), for blending with the system, from at least three of those shown, since they're bullet type. Usually narrow conical dispersion similar to 2402.

From Solen web page: the two units at top right and the three units at bottom left are from Fostex and all are said to be horn loaded according to the description. Some are quite expensive.

Name:  IMG_2540.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  84.4 KB

Tweeter

How high can you hear? Put your best headphones on and run some test tones. Now turn the volume up and test again. At higher volumes you can hear better. Don't keep doing this, bad for your ears! One other thing. Adding a super tweeter to your 4430/4435s may not benefit you if your older like me. But sometimes younger people are listening to my system. It might sound better to them. Gary

Fostex makes super tweeters. However, looking at the pic i don't see how one could get acceptably wide driver coverage pattern (dispersion), for blending with the system, from at least three of those shown, since they're bullet type. Usually narrow conical dispersion similar to 2402.
    I have a pair of the Fostex, sold as Radio Shack.

worked fine , didn't test for nor detect beamy-ness. My exposure to foxtex products has always been positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wolf,

Fostex usually good. Surprising that Fostex, which is not cheap normally, made a model for Radio Shack.

Though among the present ones they have a lower cost model FT17H (Solen $63.44 CAD; others $280. to $1,837.)

Looking at that one's spec sheet, response is pretty flat up to about 40khz! On the down side, Fostex doesn't give any dispersion or coverage pattern specs. But when you look at the response gragh provided with the angles shown, the falling response is fairly consistent with narrow pattern horn loaded tweeters. My Vifa H25 (good up to 17khz) is down about 10 db at 60°, whereas this Fostex is down up to 20 db at 20khz. So it appears as a more directional tweet.

FOSTEX FT17H TWEETER.pdf

Wolf,

Fostex usually good. Surprising that Fostex, which is not cheap normally, made a model for Radio Shack.
    That was a problem with RS . They wildly sourced their products from all over. Never knew who would produce their receivers, etc , from season to season.

Those particular super tweets are inexpensive used , I had them atop the OHM F's when their HF started to fade. EZ to vampire in ...

DISPERSION ??? Absolutely love that about my ESS's . That AMT driver is closest to 180 of anything I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    That AMT driver is closest to 180 of anything I've ever heard.
    https://www.parts-express.com/speake...on-Transformer
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Sea,

RE atop the OHM F's when their HF started to fade, post # 10

Not familiar with Ohm's Walsh technology but why would it lose HF? Loss of magnetism or something? My tweets don't seem to lose their HF (only my ears do, lol)

RE the ESS AMT

In Eargle's Loudspeaker Handbook 2nd ed, section Unusual Transducers, p. 389, there's an MLSSA response curve for the AMT dated 12-14-98, showing from about 1.7 khz up to 20 khz it is pretty flat, say 2 db. The even better news, matching your dispersion comment, there's very little difference between on/off axis compared to many others. The angles are not given (usually 30° and 60°), but the worst case loss, around 16 khz, is about 3-4 db! Very good, don't see this often.

Btw, tested my hearing last night, sniff, will post that soon in my BGW thread, for now lets just say you're not alone...

Sea,

RE atop the OHM F's when their HF started to fade, post # 10

Not familiar with Ohm's Walsh technology but why would it lose HF? Loss of magnetism or something? My tweets don't seem to lose their HF (only my ears do, lol)..
    A Walsh F does NOT have a HF driver. ==>> https://ohmspeaker.com/technology/

the newer models do have a helper , here is a shot of my f's driver.

the thread ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=walsh
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information