Thread: horn/ waveguide for jbl 2451 drivers (1 1/2"throat)

horn/ waveguide for jbl 2451 drivers (1 1/2"throat)

I swear I just saw a post last week where there was a posted jbl model horn that was good to use with the older 2451 drivers. Now, of course, I can't find that post. It was probably buried in one of the speaker posts?
    Is there a modern horn bell or waveguide that works well with the throatless jbl 2451 drivers?
    Maybe something with a 90 x60 pattern medium throw or similar? These will be for concerts in medium sized rooms or outdoors.
    I'll look thru the in stock lists at speaker exchange and guess if I have to. There's an aluminum version and some modern waveguides I see there. I believe there for newer drivers?

I think I found it.
    PTH 1010 waveguide
    Horn/Waveguide Questions (audioheritage.org)

perhaps look at JBL systems designed for such an application
    100x100deg might not be what you're looking for (regardless of how good it might sound in a home-use environment)

The plastic WG from VTX F12/F15 is superior to the ”PT-xxxx”. Cheap but plastic. Measures excellent. M2 also works well with the 1,5” drivers with 4” dia`s. I have a set of 4367 WG`s on the way and will measure them also.
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

It depends on the application. I like them quite a bit and they work very well with the large format 1.5" drivers. Measure and sound great! Just watch the mounting hole pattern size it's set for the small pattern.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    ................ I have a set of 4367 WG`s on the way and will measure them also.
    Hi sebackman,
    It would be nice if You can show us 4367WG responses with Your JBL drivers 24xx.
    If it is not so private info, what is the price PER PIECE for the mentioned 4367 WG?

Regards
    Ivica

Hi ivica,

I will try to measure with both D2 and 2451SL/Be.

Kind regards
    //Rob

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    perhaps look at JBL systems designed for such an application
    100x100deg might not be what you're looking for (regardless of how good it might sound in a home-use environment)
    I agree. The throatless design seems to be the way the new drivers work? I'm also just guessing that these may match up to something new.
    Again, it will be for shows in medium sized rooms or outdoors.
    I realize there's older horns that JBL designed to work with these. I just think there maybe new ones as well. I bought 4 of the later release of the JBL 60x40 2" horns (better throat design). I didn't realize that the 2451 drivers had bigger bolt patterns. I will get more 2450 drivers for those down the road.
    I appreciate all the replies and ideas. It's tuff to research all without proper tools or the budget to match. So at some point, I need to take shortcuts.
    I used to like the 2441 drivers the best. They are old and heavy. I bought 2445 and 2446 drivers. still too heavy. I bought a pair of 2450 drivers that seems to match up well. They are lighter. Still too heavy overall. I am partially disabled and don't wish to handle them very much.
    I got 2430h drivers that are bad. That almost steered me away from more research. I've got 2432 drivers that seem better for stage monitor use. I got 4, 2453 that seem very good all around drivers.
    I was originally just interested in all the drivers JBL had released since I retired from touring. I built a system that was intended to be used just by me inside my house, or outside for parties.
    Now, I'm expanding it as friends are interested in it too. I'll be using it now for sound reinforcement duties with a live act.
    I love the new lightweight stuff from JBL. I am fascinated how well it performs for it's weight. The JBL 2258 drivers seems very good. I would like to get the 2269h versions. I am waiting to see if I can generate enough money to justify them. At that time I will also buy the D2 HF drivers. After all that, I will decide on what to use and eliminate what doesn't work for me.

If you can find them, there is a throatless 1.5" exit 2450SL driver with the same mounting bolt pattern as the other common JBL drivers. Looks just like a 2451 except for the bolt pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
    I agree. The throatless design seems to be the way the new drivers work? I'm also just guessing that these may match up to something new.
    Again, it will be for shows in medium sized rooms or outdoors.
    I realize there's older horns that JBL designed to work with these. I just think there maybe new ones as well. I bought 4 of the later release of the JBL 60x40 2" horns (better throat design). I didn't realize that the 2451 drivers had bigger bolt patterns. I will get more 2450 drivers for those down the road.
    I appreciate all the replies and ideas. It's tuff to research all without proper tools or the budget to match. So at some point, I need to take shortcuts.
    I used to like the 2441 drivers the best. They are old and heavy. I bought 2445 and 2446 drivers. still too heavy. I bought a pair of 2450 drivers that seems to match up well. They are lighter. Still too heavy overall. I am partially disabled and don't wish to handle them very much.
    I got 2430h drivers that are bad. That almost steered me away from more research. I've got 2432 drivers that seem better for stage monitor use. I got 4, 2453 that seem very good all around drivers.
    I was originally just interested in all the drivers JBL had released since I retired from touring. I built a system that was intended to be used just by me inside my house, or outside for parties.
    Now, I'm expanding it as friends are interested in it too. I'll be using it now for sound reinforcement duties with a live act.
    I love the new lightweight stuff from JBL. I am fascinated how well it performs for it's weight. The JBL 2258 drivers seems very good. I would like to get the 2269h versions. I am waiting to see if I can generate enough money to justify them. At that time I will also buy the D2 HF drivers. After all that, I will decide on what to use and eliminate what doesn't work for me.
    Hi engineerjoe
    I would suggest to try 2450-1.5 (SL) or 2451 drivers with 4367 horn for home listening
    2216nd as midbass and 2269 as bass

Regards
    Ivica

You can mount both the large (2451) and small (2450Sl aso) bolt patterns on the newer waveguides. I designed an adapter for the big bolt circle a few years ago and posted the drawing here. Do a search in my threads for the drawing. You use the outer bolt circle on the 2451 and just clamp down the horn with a washer in the adapter. I have done this on many setups. No measurable affect.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the adapter look interesting. I would probably just slap them on for a simple test first. I'll have to see what waveguides I can get my hands on first. I have a spare set right here that I already put the 2432 drivers on, that came out of JBL AM series cabs. They look like the ones in your pic.
    I never figured out the difference between the JBL horns from the stx815 and the stx825. I bought a set and forgot which ones they are? Maybe just a size difference?

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Hi ivica,

I will try to measure with both D2 and 2451SL/Be.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Hi Bob,
    Any news about H4367 ?

Regards
    Ivica

Thread Information