Thread: LE14H-Back from the DEAD!

Steve Gonzales

LE14H's-Back from the DEAD!

In my continuing restoration sagas, here is one I hope you will all enjoy and also hope it will be a source of inspiration to those who, when faced with a particular restoration challenge, will think twice about just what can be done to save their drivers.

Last year, I managed to find my first big pair of JBL's, L222 Disco's. They were in HORRIBLE shape. With alot of research,luck,money and the help of speaker repair EXPERT and friend, Mr. Marlon Balan and Mr. Darrell Redmond, (my bro), I achieved success in what at first glance, seemed like a hopeless and literal "basket case"

The PR15c's and original LE14H's. I'll focus on the LE14H's in this story. The following picture will help you all get a clear idea of what we were up against. Notice the DEEP gouges in the flanges and all the gobbledy-gook inside and the extremely poor state of the whole "mess"

Steve Gonzales

yuck-damn!

oh no they didn't?!

Steve Gonzales

you gotta be kidding!

I'd like to get my hands on whomever did this

Steve Gonzales

Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!

I was able to track down some ORIGINAL cones (voicecoils intact) from my good friend Mr. David Brink, out of NY State. First, Marlon surveyed the baskets and provided the prep. "must do's" and gave me hope too. Second, Darrell and I discussed the metal rehab and put the plan into action, being CAREFUL to tape off all gaps and critcal portions to ensure no debris got in. We then took dremels, DA sanders and belt sanders and cleaned up the baskets. thankfully, JBL made these like a tank and you could actually remove quite a bit of material and still have plenty of thickness. While not perfect, they look good enough for a picky guy like myself. Here are some shots of the rehabed metal and new cones. Marlon put new spiders on too.

Steve Gonzales

getting close

another:

Steve Gonzales

trim it up

here is the LE14H with new trim rigs installed

Steve Gonzales

Brite future

I put my whitening technique to work

Steve Gonzales

You damn white!

I like it,I like it !

Steve Gonzales

Intense POUNDING

How about that?!

Yep! Mr. REHAB !

Hi Steve

- Nice stuff !

- I'm all Eyes and Ears since I have 3 or 4 ( of 7 le14a ) that could use these treatments.

- I'd love to know what grade "flexature" those replacement spiders are that your reconer is using on those rebuilds. I think they graded 1 - 5 .

- "Bagged"-"Fatigued" spiders is one area of rehabbing that is constantly overlooked .

- For that matter, I'd love to know the newly acquired Fs of your rehabbed le14h(s).

- Does your reconer do Fs testing ? If so, how about zipping one of these beauties back to him for a workup ?

<> Earl K

transducergeek

Great work! Colgate Strips?

Thanks Steve! I love seeing your projects thru the stages. Very impressive and inspirational, I am a budding speaker restoration guy, so far mostly surrounds, a little torn cone repair, no full recones as yet. I want to get into it. And I am learning much on this forum and from people like you. I am grateful for your full photographic documentation of the process. And the great explanations. Where did you get the idea to "draw" in the wood grain? Brilliant! I have now a pair of LE14A I may soon decide to do a Re-surround upon. How do you get the ring off without damage to it? And the Lans-a-loy? What is the best technique to remove that dried out horrible stuff? the cone will be damaged unless you really do it right. And what do you do in the whitening? Use Colgate Strips? Thanks, again. Rolf Erickson.

Steve Gonzales

Thanks

I appreciate all the good feedback!. I convinced my speaker repair expert, Mr Marlon Balan to join the Forum, he can be reached by private message at mbspeakerrepair . He is my go-to guy for reconing and resurround jobs. As far as I know, an Olfa knife starts the peeling of the trim ring and then slowly, carefully pulling and using the knife to cut the adhesive strands. As for as Lans-aloy goes, try M.E.K, you can get it at Home Depot or a paint store, CAUTION-NASTY STUFF TO USE!!!. I have a thread about whitening the Aquaplas right now, do a seach on my posts, it is in the GENERAL Forum although I should have put it in Technical. Good Luck with all your projects. Stay tuned for a great L110 restoration soon!

PS. I got the idea of faux graining from working with some of the best Craftsmen on the planet in Portland Or. When all the young apprentices were giving the "old guys" a hard time and no respect, I paid attention to them, watched them, asked questions and RESPECTED them; in turn, they made me so much better as a finisher and a person for that matter.

Here is my system: 1 pair of L220 Oracle's with the LE5-9 replaced with 4333's 2420/2312 compression driver/ horns and 1 pair of L222 Disco's with the LE5-9's replaced with the 375/2395 compression driver/horn/lens set-up
    It sounds amazing to me and now I love the looks of the bass drivers too

Thread Information