Thread: JBL 4343B, 4344, or 4435.

JBL 4343B, 4344, or 4435.

Hi,

I'm Chris from Melbourne, and I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you all.

I have the opportunity to get the JBL 4343B, 4344, or the 4435 studio monitors. Will be pairing one of the pairs with the Gryphon Diablo 300 Integrated SS Amp. This is all new for me, and I would like to know some inputs from all of you here. The seller also have a pair of S3100 for sale and he recommended me those speakers to pair with the Diablo 300.

I havent had the chance to come and bring my amp because of the Covid restrictions here.

Hope to learn and hear some feedbacks from everyone here. Cheers.

Hi Chris,

If you are not familiar with these ibl systems you need to do some careful listening before you buy.

The 4344 or the 4435 would be my pick as l am familiar with those two systems.

Of the two the 4435 is more efficient and will run more effectively from a single amplifier. The 4344 is a four way system and requires careful adjustment to get it working at its best.

The 4344 is more clinical due to controlled bandwidth of the individual drivers. This is a double edge sword in terms of accuracy which our hifi friends in Asia might term nervous or cynical presentation. This is because the loudspeaker will show up the defects as well as the nice parts of your system and your recordings. If your source and signal path are of the highest caliber and you spend time setting them up your in for a treat. This is the thinking customers loudspeaker.

The 4435 is a two way system and has more low frequency capability at low frequencies and is best used in a large room. The midrange is very good and overall slightly more forgiving of signal quality then the 4344. Does not require too much adjustment and the horn offers uniform directivity. The highs have a warm burnished tone. Not as clinical as the 4344 and easier to use for a first time Jbl user. Does not require Biamping unless very high spl levels are required. The caveat is you need a wide room to avoid low frequency augmentation from the corners of the room.

The S3100 uses a horn which has modified directivity. Set up for the Japanese market meaning the bass response will be tight but not full or extended. It’s a matter of taste. The compression drivers used is identical to that used in the 4435. If you can’t fit the 4435 in your living space the S3100 is an alternative.

Thank you Ian for your detailed explanation.

I use only digital front end for my system.

local and streamed files using Audirvana Studio running on an optimized mac mini acting as a upnp server feeding the Empirical Audio Interchange Network Renderer.

The Interchange will output i2s via rj45 to my Empirical Audio ODSX.Then Balanced connection to the Gryphon Diablo 300.

Once I have a chance will definitely have a listen at those recommended speakers. What is the minimal room size recommendation for the 4435? And have you had any experience powering these speakers using a SS amp?

The way to think about it is you want the horns 2.5 metres apart or greater and the outside woofer at least one metre from the side walls.

Using an equilateral triangle of 2.5 -3.00 metres for the horns and the listening position this will tell you the scale of the room. No domestic room is ideal. But these loudspeakers need to be placed on the wider of the walls which need to be 4.5 - 5.5 metres. The room could be 3.5 - 4.5 deep or more.

Do not place them on the smaller wall unless it’s 4.5 metres or greater. This is just a recommendation. People tend to run into problems with dual 15 inch woofer systems because the outer woofer couples to the proximity of the side wall below 150 hertz causing a loss of bass definition.

On the SS amp yes. As long as it’s smooth and transparent you will get a good result. I have used a number of SS amps over the years including Pass Labs, Parasound and some large SE class A amps. In the early days l used Phase Linear and Marantz. Neither were satisfactory. I think your amp will work well. I have never tried them but the 100 watt Manley or Quicksilver mono block valve amps would be interesting. The Macintosh SS amps are a good match for these JBLs as are the Bryston SS amps which l have heard in the USA and Hong Kong.

If you can try Tidal MQA.

I am a bit too late for the 4435 and 4344, theyre both sold, Ian. So I’m left with S3100 and 4343B. Did auditioned them today with the 270w SS Accuphase amp today. Didn’t really like the sound of S3100, it sounded too rough and harsh, I didnt find it musical sounding just loud, but the sound didnt extend especially the bass was just too boomy.

The 4343B on the other hand sounded smooth and open/dynamic. Everything flowed. Bass also extended was good. Just have to wait till my apartment is done so we can deliver the speakers there and propery set them up.

Thank you Ian for your feedbacks and suggestions. Where are you based in Australia? Are you by any chance in Melbourne, Ian?

That’s great news.

Thank you for the feedback.

Glad you have been able to audition these systems.

At the moment l’m up on the Sunshine Coast enjoying a break after the hellish 2020. l periodically travel to Melbourne and will pm when that is likely. With the ping pong lockdowns around the country and snail rollout of the jab it won’t be anytime soon unfortunately.

Yes. Please let me know when youre coming to Melbourne. In the mean time enjoy your time away from Melbourne 🙏

Thread Information