Thread: L110 Grill restoration

Steve Gonzales

L110 Grill restoration

I have just started an L110 restoration project and have run into a problem that i hope you can help me solve. The L110 grills are a two piece, interlocking type, that in order to stretch and attach the new cloth, you must use some type of glue to anchor the cloth to the "outer" frame. Once this is done, the inner frame is kind of "press-fit" into that outer frame. The $64k question is: what kind of "super quick dry glue" do you use in order to attach the cloth to the outer frame??? Can anyone give me the proper sequence of events?. I will say that I have found a VERY easy way to disassemble them: Cut the old cloth flush with the frame with some little curved blade scissors, like quilters use, then take an EMBEE brand 1" wide "full elastic" putty knife and slide it between the seams of the inner and outer frame -back and forth on a flat surface, then carefully pry the pieces apart, stopping at the first sign of resistance to prying and go back over that "sticking point". I can see where it might have taken at least 1k more cuss words to accomplish this task without that EMBEE putty knife! I hope someone out there can help with the glue. I will say thank you in advance- you've never let me down before!

BTW: These L110's are completely UNDERRATED!! Sweet top end, good ol' midrange and PUNCHY,TIGHT BASS!! WOW!
    Why is it that these are not highly prized?, I've owned L-15,19,40,46,88,100,166,4311 (WX-A,B)'s and I am suprized to say that I really like these the best! Am I losing it? Or are these some damn FINE speakers?

Underrated ???

- BTW: These L110's are completely UNDERRATED!!
    - Sweet top end, good ol' midrange and PUNCHY,TIGHT BASS!! WOW!
    - Why is it that these are not highly prized?,
    Hmmmm,,,

- I don't think you've paid close enough attention to Giskards' comments over the last few years .

- Okay, so now you're a le10x (le111a) convert - ssshhh -

- Don't forget to add "bypass" caps to those crossovers and maybe Charge-Couple™ them.
    - And if you have to ask ? ,,,

Earl K
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve Gonzales

The Earl of K

I haven't been a member long enough to know about the good feedback provided by Mr. Giskard "over the years", I'll have to pour over the posts in the archives. I can say that in my many years of talking to fellow "JBLites", I've never heard much about these great little jewels. They will not replace my horn modified L222/L220's but in their own right,(IMHO), they are one of the BEST bookshelf speakers I've ever had the pleasure of owning. Once you go HORN, you can't go back to cones, also IMHO. Thanks for the info, Steve

Courtesy of this sites' "Search Engine"

Hi

Back on Topic,

Here's a thread on "Gluing Fabric" that's somewhat relevant to your needs .

Earl K

SteveW

Works for me...

I use 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive to hold stretched fabric over acoustical panels. Good stuff. Home Depot stocks it.

Thread Information