Thread: Level control settings on 4312s

Tom Loizeaux

Level control settings on 4312s

Some time ago someone asked what settings we used on our JBL monitors.
    My response was that I ran them a "5" (12 o'clock).
    Since I've been tweaking the settings on my 4343s lately, mostly with small adjustments on my active crossover and balancing the power amps in this bi-amp setup, I've eventually come up with what I think is my favorite settings for the 4343s. The other day, after listening again to my 4312As, which sit on top of my 4343s, I was suprized how "up front" and even harsh they sounded relative to the 4343s. So I tried an experiment. I put little pieces of tape on the 4312s level controls, blocking my view of the index mark, and played one of my most familiar CDs. I kept adjusting the level controls (mostly down!) until I got what I thought was the best balance. It took a bit of jumping up to adjust and sitting to evaluate. When I felt satisfied it was "best", (probably influenced by extensive listening to the 4343s) I removed the tape and revealed that I had put both the mid and high frequency controls on 2.5!
    After more listening, I realized I had tamed the "West Coast" sound and really liked the sound character of these 4312As for the first time!
    So I wanted to amend my earlier statement that "straight up" is my favorite setting.
    Though these 4312As sound very nice, the 4343s still present the music in a more effortless way and seem to produce a smoother representation. The 2231s also add a little bottom that lets me feel the bass more then the 4312s.

Tom

Yes, Tom, and 4343 vs 4333 ?

HerveM

Yes, Tom, mine is also set at 2. At first I was really uncomfortable, but after playing many familiar discs, this setting sounds "flat" to me. I was thinking of stacking another 4312, but with the mid and highs disconnected to improve the bass output, not necessary lower.

Hi Tom,

If You are bi/tri-amping then why not try to dismount the L-pad's and ajust the level on the amp ? Or maby measure the value of the L-pads and replace them with two fixed resistors. L-pad's are not really an audiophil component.

I will do so with 4410 for sure and i think your box are a much better speaker and that You will have even bigger benefit of the trick than i.

Thanks
    Jens

Tom,

I have similar experience. Thanks for bringing this up.

Tom Loizeaux
    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp
    Yes, Tom, mine is also set at 2. At first I was really uncomfortable, but after playing many familiar discs, this setting sounds "flat" to me. I was thinking of stacking another 4312, but with the mid and highs disconnected to improve the bass output, not necessary lower.
    I have actually worked my MF and HF level controls up a good bit since my earlier post. I am running them around "11 O'clock". I did add a subwoofer a while back. I run the 4312As full range and add just a touch of lows with the sub. This really builds up the low end while keeping the 4312s doing their thing. The imaging is very good and the overall performance is quite remarkable.

Tom

Tom Loizeaux
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb_dk
    Hi Tom,

If You are bi/tri-amping then why not try to dismount the L-pad's and ajust the level on the amp ? Or maby measure the value of the L-pads and replace them with two fixed resistors. L-pad's are not really an audiophil component.

I will do so with 4410 for sure and i think your box are a much better speaker and that You will have even bigger benefit of the trick than i.

Thanks
    Jens
    I have basically turned the L pads all the way up on my 4343s because I am running them in bi-amp mode. The MF, HF, and UHF are driven by a seperate amp from the LF, giving me control of both "halfs" of the response. Though I am bypassing the coils on those L pads, I realize that bypassingh the entire L pads would be a good thing. I may do that, but I have turned down the 2420 HF drive slightly and like the balance a little more then all three sections running "full up".
    If I decide to stay with this setting, I may only fully bypass the MF and UHF L pads.

P.S. What settings do other 4343 users use to balance the top three sections?

Tom

Thread Information