Some time ago someone asked what settings we used on our JBL monitors.
My response was that I ran them a "5" (12 o'clock).
Since I've been tweaking the settings on my 4343s lately, mostly with small adjustments on my active crossover and balancing the power amps in this bi-amp setup, I've eventually come up with what I think is my favorite settings for the 4343s. The other day, after listening again to my 4312As, which sit on top of my 4343s, I was suprized how "up front" and even harsh they sounded relative to the 4343s. So I tried an experiment. I put little pieces of tape on the 4312s level controls, blocking my view of the index mark, and played one of my most familiar CDs. I kept adjusting the level controls (mostly down!) until I got what I thought was the best balance. It took a bit of jumping up to adjust and sitting to evaluate. When I felt satisfied it was "best", (probably influenced by extensive listening to the 4343s) I removed the tape and revealed that I had put both the mid and high frequency controls on 2.5!
After more listening, I realized I had tamed the "West Coast" sound and really liked the sound character of these 4312As for the first time!
So I wanted to amend my earlier statement that "straight up" is my favorite setting.
Though these 4312As sound very nice, the 4343s still present the music in a more effortless way and seem to produce a smoother representation. The 2231s also add a little bottom that lets me feel the bass more then the 4312s.

Tom