Thread: Copper Plated Driver Top Plate?

Copper Plated Driver Top Plate?

Hi All;

I have some AlNiCo compression drivers that need to come apart for repairs. While they are apart I planned on replating the top plates as some are less than beautiful. Since copper is my favorite metal color ever and we copper plate in house for heat treat and carburizing process masking, I want to copper plate the top plates.

What I do not yet know is if there is a reason not to do this. Does anyone here know if this would or could be detrimental?

I sure think black wrinkle painted with copper flashed terminals and the visible ring of the top plate would look great.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I agree that copper and black wrinkle finish will have a beautiful and somewhat “Edison” look. I wouldn’t expect any strange metal interactions and since you live in an extremely dry area, oxidation shouldn’t be an issue.

Widget

Widget beat me to it. Would be similar to gold plating… conductive and low permeability. Shouldn’t affect the magnetic circuit. I’d still shoot some lacquer on the exposed bits … just ‘cause … black oxide would kinda ruin the effect.

Look up the 476Be/Mg I believe the pole piece is copper plated to reduce inductance and increase heat sinking.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hello All;

I couldn’t think of a reason that it would be detrimental but I am no expert in this field.

There used to be a couple of guys in Northridge one could call for answers to questions like this.

A thin coat of lacquer for sure. Even out here it would eventually oxidize.

I have thought about trying to cut and slip a copper ring into the 2450-2451 motor pole pieces like the 476’s. Cutting the pole even in gap would be the easy part. If I could get the gap and space below the top plate clean post machine, stretching a 0.010” copper ring over the pole piece like the 476 has might be quite the challenge. The 476’s also have some type of damper ring in the bottom of the under gap void.

This should be a fun project. I have to source and form some bug screens for some of these too.

Thanks again guys.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    copper and black wrinkle finish will have a beautiful and somewhat “Edison” look

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Shouldn’t affect the magnetic circuit. I’d still shoot some lacquer on the exposed bits

Just have under construction amps and black body with copper knop is the THING!!! And question is the same, how to save copper against oxide
    (more even while it's touchable with fingers ... didn't yet consult my jewelery-makeing friend)

For knobs you probably don’t want actual copper, but a rose gold or other plating to achieve the look of copper. You can use a urethane or an epoxy coating to protect actual copper from oxidizing, but the look and feel isn’t exactly the same as raw metal.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    a rose gold
    That could be interesting and only thing I put into 'Excel'. Every step. Nice inert heavy milled bronze, polished, treated, covered.
    Does one knob - only one at amp - overlap a Philips home theatre...

Sorry 1audiohack, interrupted into Your topic. But materials You mentioned turns me on, too...

Thread Information