Thread: Altec Woofer Surround Sepair

Altec Woofer Surround Sepair

Well, I've gone an done it.

Despite my best efforts to avoid it, I've put a hole in the woofer surround on an Altec 601-8D Duplex speaker. Since nobody makes a re-cone or re-edge kit for this particular Altec (so I'm told), I'm left to do a repair.

The surround is fabric, impregnated with some type of sticky goo. They've been like that since I bought them new in 1973. The newly-punched hole is just under 1/4" in diameter, positioned near the frame. (The cone is untouched).

I assume the hole must be patched to prevent air leakage, and also to keep the hole from enlarging. Any suggestions on patching the hole? Material for the patch? Adhesive to use?

Many thanx, all.

I've been there too long ago, screw driver slipped from my hand and went in the surround , but fortunately at the time original recones were still available and it was reconed new.

Older coax drivers already have a reputation of being air loss prone. You don't want to add more air loss, so yes you must deal with this hole in surround.

I checked a place that sells cloth surrounds but their short listing has none specifically for Altec. Then an option is to go by surround dimensions instead of name, however it may not be returneable if it doesn't fit ok, more so if you played with it.

Maybe your best option is to repair it yourself with a thin piece of fabric and preferably using a fabric glue that remains somewhat flexible after its cured since you want the surround's suspension to follow cone travel (at least partly), even if its not perfect. As for fabric type look carefully with a mag lens at the surround's fabric and try to find something with similar weaving.

In case you can't find some black sticky goo, you can use a black Sharpie to "paint" the repair black, making it less visible.

I might have a glue that meets the requirements but would need to check in my glue box, even then it might not be available where you are (we're quite far away). Hopefully the above will help you in some way.

Richard

Many thanx, Richard. My own thoughts on a possible repair method are much like yours. No redundancy there, I can use the confirmation. In fact, my "method" for doing the damage itself involved a screwdriver!

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy64 View Post
    Well, I've gone an done it.

Despite my best efforts to avoid it, I've put a hole in the woofer surround on an Altec 601-8D Duplex speaker. Since nobody makes a re-cone or re-edge kit for this particular Altec (so I'm told), I'm left to do a repair.

The surround is fabric, impregnated with some type of sticky goo. They've been like that since I bought them new in 1973. The newly-punched hole is just under 1/4" in diameter, positioned near the frame. (The cone is untouched).

I assume the hole must be patched to prevent air leakage, and also to keep the hole from enlarging. Any suggestions on patching the hole? Material for the patch? Adhesive to use?

Many thanx, all.
    Nothing will mix well with the "goop" on the surround...and it's been long discontinued.

Since you said it's sticky...cut a small piece of Saran Wrap or a sandwich bag about an inch long...or just enough to reach beyond the size of the hole. Lay the piece over the hole and guide it into the pleats with a toothpick. the goop will grab it. Better yet if you can do it to both sides of the surround if the goop has soaked through enough to grab it.

Good luck!
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Nothing will mix well with the "goop" on the surround...and it's been long discontinued.

Since you said it's sticky...cut a small piece of Saran Wrap or a sandwich bag about an inch long...or just enough to reach beyond the size of the hole. Lay the piece over the hole and guide it into the pleats with a toothpick. the goop will grab it. Better yet if you can do it to both sides of the surround if the goop has soaked through enough to grab it.

Good luck!
    Many thanx, Edgewound. I'm not sure if the surround is still sticky enough, but I"ll give that a try.

Thread Information