Thread: possible 2402 diaphragm damage - repairable?

djrobertc

possible 2402 diaphragm damage - repairable?

Hi guys,

When cleaning my new 2402s I found what looks like slight damage to the diaphragm. It is small creases in the aluminum and I'm not sure how it will sound (I still have yet to get an amp/crossover to hook it up to). Is this damage significant? Do I need to replace the diaphragm or can this be repaired?

As always, thanks for your help!!!

Steve Gonzales

Big maybe?

Without listening to it first, that's a hard call. These diaphagms have such small tolerences that it would be VERY difficult to repair. the good news is that you can get a suitable aftermarket replacement on eBay from "sound_speaker_repair" for $39.00 !. If this is for a DJ application, you shouldn't have to worry about creating a "mismatched" pair. If it is for Hi-Fi, then you should consider buying a pair and selling the good OG JBL to help pay for them. I would also like to add that, if you can afford Original replacement diaphragms, then that would be my first choice.About the damaged one:, if you hook it up and it doesn't sound right, you can always tweek on it to see if it can be made to work,at that point,what have you got ot lose? Good luck!

?

Quote Originally Posted by djrobertc
    Hi guys,

When cleaning my new 2402s I found what looks like slight damage to the diaphragm. It is small creases in the aluminum and I'm not sure how it will sound (I still have yet to get an amp/crossover to hook it up to). Is this damage significant? Do I need to replace the diaphragm or can this be repaired?

As always, thanks for your help!!!

Was this the way the diaphragm was when you opened and disassembled the tweeter? Or did you accidentally do that? Doesnt matter!

If that was my tweeter I would have it replaced with a JBL diaphragm, only, and please have it done by a qualified tech! It can be done by you, I do my own, although tweeters arent something I blow, only one in almost twenty years, NOT BAD, HUH?

But Im feeling as though the diaphragm got damaged accidentaly during disassembly for cleaning, and I kind of feel bad about that, maybe I should have walked you through the process over the phone or something. Besides, changing the diaphragm for this unit requires a teeny bit of soldering, and the leads are extremely delicate!

You can use an aftermarket diaphragm, but I would use JBL!
    scottyj

majick47

Diaphram

I'll second Scotts opinion to replace the diaphrams with oem/JBL. My 2405 tweeters and LE85 horns have new JBL diaphrams (pro shop installed), the sound is beautiful and considering the life span well worth the extra money.

Steve Gonzales

right

I think this is what I said in my reply [QUOTE]"I would also like to add that, if you can afford Original replacement diaphragms, then that would be my first choice."

djrobertc
    Hey Scotty -
    actually no, that was definitely not done by me, thank God. I would have freaked out if I did that! haha! I removed the horn portion quite carefully and noticed that the diaphragm had the crease in it... since I didn't quite know how the driver operated I wasnt sure if that was even a critical component. After a little research I learned that it was critical and then posted on here. I think the last person to have worked on this must have damaged it, I also noticed that the bullet on this driver was screwed on VERY tightly and it was really hard to "gently" remove and there is some wear on the leads where it was soldered.

I'm going to go ahead and get a JBL replacement for it and have a pro install it as I wouldn't know what I was doing.

The other one is in flawless condition!

Cool

You get that puppy outfitted with a new phragm, she be good as new!

scottyj

Steve Gonzales

OEM for sure

Hey, How about putting a stock OEM JBL original diaphragm in it?. I would definately have a Pro do it.

[QUOTE=Steve Gonzales;38957]Without listening to it first, that's a hard call. These diaphagms have such small tolerences that it would be VERY difficult to repair.

"....the good news is that you can get a suitable aftermarket replacement on eBay from "sound_speaker_repair" for $39.00 !. If this is for a DJ application, you shouldn't have to worry about creating a "mismatched" pair. .."

Unfortunately I have tried mentioned "aftermarket" replacement Diaphragm for my 077, taken from 'mentioned' source, but later I have to buy original D16R2405 from JBL. There are two main differences:
    -the 'aftermarket" one is about 6dB less efficient and has cut-off frequency about 15kHz comparing with original one

Just for your info
    Ivica

Other than you quoting them, its been 5 1/2 years since the last posting in this thread ...
    Poor Scott recently passed away, and Steve G hasn't been a member here for at least a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales View Post
    Without listening to it first, that's a hard call. These diaphagms have such small tolerences that it would be VERY difficult to repair.

"....the good news is that you can get a suitable aftermarket replacement on eBay from "sound_speaker_repair" for $39.00 !. If this is for a DJ application, you shouldn't have to worry about creating a "mismatched" pair. .."
    Unfortunately I have tried mentioned "aftermarket" replacement Diaphragm for my 077, taken from 'mentioned' source, but later I have to buy original D16R2405 from JBL. There are two main differences:
    -the 'aftermarket" one is about 6dB less efficient and has cut-off frequency about 15kHz comparing with original one

Just for your info
    Ivica
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That is true Heather however no one else in the thread posted measured differences between the OEM and aftermarket replacements.

Thanks ivica.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I've seen small creases in several 2402 and 2405 diaphragms, including unopened units and even in the factory sealed NOS 2405 piece that I got from an LHF member for diaphragm testing. If the creases are minor, they still measure out within spec and you'll probably not even hear a difference.

Thread Information