Thread: JBL 075, Altec 511B horn and JBL 2241H woofer

JBL 075, Altec 511B horn and JBL 2241H woofer

Hi all, I'm new here

I'm interested in your opinion on how you would built a speaker box(times 2) for these tree component :
    -JBL 075 bullet tweeter
    - Altec 511B Horn with no name compressor
    - JBL 2241H woofer

Using an electronic 3 way crossover 2 x yamaha M-40 and 1 x M-35 for the tweeters

For good heavy sound, but don't need to work at maximum will play in a max space of 40 x 40 feet

Personaly I thought about a vented 7 to 11 cubic feet with possibilité to close vent, the woofer a good 6 to 10 inch from floor, horn over woofer and tweeter between the woofer and horn.

I'm wondering if it is a good idea to align all components diaphragm ?

Thanks in advance, cheers

I'd find a 12" mid bass driver to go between the 18" and the 1" horn first. I'd then build a vented box according to the TS specs for the 18, a sealed box for the 12, mount the horn on top of the mid bass box and measure the whole set up to get the best possible settings for my DSP crossover. I'd then sell the super tweeters on eBay.

But that's just me.

Well... since you asked. There will be the temptation to use the 2241H up to a 500Hz crossover to the Altec horn. On paper this will work, especially since you don’t intend to drive it particularly hard. But, I would fight that temptation and find a suitable midbass driver so that you can raise the crossover to 1000Hz. This will remove most of the “honk” from the system.

You can still triamp the system and add the 075 at 10KHz with a simple passive network.

You asked.

Widget

Thanks to you two.

I forgot to mentioned that I also have two JBL K-140, one with original cone and one reconed in the 80's, they don't sound the same so I would have two recone them both. Can they replce the 18" or be used between the 18 and horn?

If you were to recone the two D140s with 2235 kits you would have the same drivers that Wardsweb used in these speakers:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...read.php?10692

He started out with Altec woofers, but ultimately swapped them out for a pair of 2235s. Your tweeters would be a little different, but you’d be really close to his speakers which seem to be quite a success. It’s a long thread, but if you follow it, there are lots of useful nuggets in there and his results are truly inspirational.

Widget

Thanks alot Mr. Widget, great tread

If you use a 2235 instead if the 2241, you will have that much more need for a "mid-woofer" as the 2235 will not "reach as high" as the 2241 to meet the horn. A 2234 would be better than the 2235 in this respect.

Besides, a 2241 sounds more like/better reproduces a real bass guitar than a 2235.

What would be your recommandation as midbass driver in this system 8 inch to 10 inch I guess. I started searching and there are so many choice. can you give me you picks. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bernard View Post
    what would be your recommandation as midbass driver in this system 8 inch to 10 inch i guess. I started searching and there are so many choice. Can you give me you picks. Thanks
    2123h
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thank you very much

Thread Information