Thread: 2288H sub-18

2288H sub-18

I can`t find much about 2288H does anyone have much inf about it?
    I already have diy M2 it`s time for sub-18 and 2288H is cheaper but nothing yet about the specs for this driver...
    Or should I go for 2269H....

So to get an answer from the others, I think you need some clarity here.
    I wonder if you are thinking about making your own cabinet? So you are asking about specs on the woofers only?
    I don't believe JBL has released them yet? (just drivers)
    Here's the specs of the VTX B18 (with the 2288h) for comparison idea( going to depend on your cabinet choice)
    https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elemen...b18-spec-sheet
    and you want to compare to the 2269H, right?
    here it is in a JBL cab
    https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elemen...118-spec-sheet
    I believe there's other threads already here on this type subject. I don't think using these top high end subs is fully required. I'm used to running pro JBL stuff in large clubs, theaters and such.
    Maybe a cheaper model will do here? 2278h?
    I do envy you people who use it in your house. I do have mine in the basement now for loud parties! (8 JBL 2258H in cabs) So maybe I shouldn't judge.....

Quote Originally Posted by agronk View Post
    I already have diy M2 it`s time for sub-18 and 2288H is cheaper but nothing yet about the specs for this driver...
    You probably meant 2268?

Below parameters 2269 vs 2268.
    Simulations say 2269 does same in 180 ltr (7cu.ft) cab, the 2268 does in 300 ltr (11 cu.ft).
    Compare motor force and moving mass 2268/2269 it shows clearly 2269 is true SUB. And also other parameters Qms and 4'' voice coil (2268 has 3'') talk for 2269.
    2269 is like ' tuned sport suspension and V8' compared to 'stock familicar' 2268.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No sir I meant 2288H I know about 2268 in fact I read about all 18" drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    You probably meant 2268?

Below parameters 2269 vs 2268.
    Simulations say 2269 does same in 180 ltr (7cu.ft) cab, the 2268 does in 300 ltr (11 cu.ft).
    Compare motor force and moving mass 2268/2269 it shows clearly 2269 is true SUB. And also other parameters Qms and 4'' voice coil (2268 has 3'') talk for 2269.
    2269 is like ' tuned sport suspension and V8' compared to 'stock familicar' 2268.

No sir I meant 2288H I know about 2268 in fact I read about all 18" drivers...
    My bad!
    Didn't know 2288 is cheaper, even available.

It's quite interesting topic You rised, the same journey I have ahead.

If your budget is important the 2288H might be the way to go. Negative engineer the dual 2288 sub

https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/...b28-spec-sheet

https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/...b18-spec-sheet

Keep in mind these are PA subs designed for arenas and are tuned for maximum output above 30 hertz used in stacks of five or more.

If you want a dedicated diy sub for the M2 the 2269 has a several diy threads on the topic. Tuning a diy sub to output low bass will take a bit of work.

When you add up the cost of two 2269 woofers, power amps and the enclosures compare that to a pair of SVS3000 subs that do everything right out of the box and they are relatively compact. They will also compliment the M2’s low frequency output in the 20-30 region and they are straight forward to set up. A single SVS SB16 is another option if you want to go lower and louder!

Seems today it's quite hard to find better choice but 2269.
    (at least I do not found alternatives and go with these next to 2216Nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    a pair of SVS3000 subs
    a 12-13'' HiFi sub?
    Person just started thread he has DIY M2 ...

Just to keep track of cost of diy sub by comparison with a consumer sub. These SVS have purpose designed drivers with very long throw drivers and very high power sub amps with build in processor and smart phone App.

If it cost twice as much to make a diy sub it might not be economical.

I think any SVS can not have dynamics like 2269H or 2288H don't get me wrong, its totally different world...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Just to keep track of cost of diy sub by comparison with a consumer sub. These SVS have purpose designed drivers with very long throw drivers and very high power sub amps with build in processor and smart phone App.

If it cost twice as much to make a diy sub it might not be economical.

It depends on what you are wanting your sub to do?

Loud or Low or Loud and Low.

If your only interested in 20-30 hertz and not HT ELF effects then two huge subs is not necessarily the only approach. Personally l think it’s a thing you would only notice occasionally in that setting with music.

A 2245H or a 2242H while not the latest designs are still very useable and low cost for sub applications. Both can be set up to give low distortion 25 hertz at full power in 8-10 cu ft3.

There is more spin than most users need on the dual differential bass drivers. In real pro situations with inefficient direct radiator Arrays the differential drive woofers are good because they take huge amounts of digital amp power. They are lightweight drivers you can pickup with two fingers with an Neo slug magnet.

My comments are towards the economics of cost and space. The M2 is a pro monitor and in that application it’s not an issue. If you are using your diy M2 at home then it’s a different situation.

Typically two or more subs are preferable to a single sub in a domestic environment due to the random nature of room acoustics. Bass response can be patchy and two or more subs helps deal with that.

But two Sub18’s is going to limit your floor space options.

Some consumer THX approved Subs for HT applications are quite powerful and you know it’s going to hit 20 hertz if that is what your looking for. Some of these things have 3” stroke drivers, passive radiators and 1500 watt built in power amps and software to make it perform in your room. They are specifically designed to be used in consumer situation. This is why l mentioned some alternatives. Size and where your going to put them is often not considered.

Nobody installs the trailer hitch to Porche 911

Quote Originally Posted by Anti K View Post
    Nobody installs the trailer hitch to Porche 911

Never say never!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Qms and VAS surprises

I ordered 2269H at reconingspeakers,
    Cathy was very friendly

Thread Information