Thread: Bi Amping altec A5's

Bi Amping altec A5's

Advice on type of crossover , I am using these for sound reinforcement for my Beatles tribute band for out door summer concerts , I am thinking of JBL M552 crossover because it has cd horn eq . do I even need it for 1005/288 16K on the top end . thanks , Tom

Since your speakers don’t have controlled directivity horns, the CD compensation won’t really buy you much. A modern digital unit with DSP will give you tons of control and flexibility. Or you can keep it simple with any standard analog crossover from JBL, Rane, Ashly etc.

If you want to stay vintage and get really fancy with lots of EQ control, the Orban 674A has a variable second-order network and parametric equalizer built in. Image below is from the web. These are sonically very nice and in keeping with your retro system.

ftp://ftp.orban.com/674A_674ASL/674A%20Manual.pdf

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hate to say it since those Orbans were current when I was something like that would require an awful lot of care and feeding even if used in a fixed installation, in portable use it would likely be an enormous weak point in a PA that needed to be reliable. Running a pair of A5s for the period look and sound ( although Vox columns would likely be more authentic ) would certainly make some sense I'd be inclined to stick with current electronics for the behind the stage components. Get a solid DSP crossover like an Ashly, have a sound engineer make some measurements with an FFT analysis program and load the crossover with some appropriate presets for the kinds of venues your band will be playing. Keep the vintage stuff out front for the audience visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If you want to stay vintage and get really fancy with lots of EQ control, the Orban 674A has a variable second-order network and parametric equalizer built in. Image below is from the web. These are sonically very nice and in keeping with your retro system.

Widget

Much as I hate to say it, especially since I actually had some Orban gear back in the day something like that paragraphic would require a great deal of care and feeding to be usable in even a fixed install or studio and would likely be a serious weak point in a portable PA system for a working bad. I'd strongly suggest finding a nice reliable DSP crossover like an Ashly or even some amps with built in crossovers like the Lab Gruppens or QSCs and set up some presets for the venues your band is likely to be playing and go from there. While the A5s are probably not a bad choice for the period look and sound ( although some Vox columns might be more authentic ) I'd keep that back stage elements as current and reliable as possible.

I can’t speak to their roadworthiness, but in fixed installs we’ve had decades of trouble free service.

Widget

Thanks for the replies , I keep getting logged off before I can reply . whats up with that ?

Hi,
    I have had several Orbans 674A and never had any problems and they are good devices but if you have a little more budget invest in a more modern DSP this is what I did several years ago and I have also improved amplification and others since. A DSP is only useful if you know who to do with it and are willing to do multiple measurements and trial and error, the fun is down the road too

Several years ago an Orban with Altec...
    Music is emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrighton View Post
    Thanks for the replies , I keep getting logged off before I can reply . whats up with that ?
    are you clicking on the little ‘Remember Me’ box next to the login fields?

Thread Information