Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went STUPID/nuts on a VOTT resto-mod! COVID did me in!

It's always nice to see a good veneer job. Makes them A7's seem more homely

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.
    Yeah, I didn't understand the reference either, until I checked Ebay.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.
    I agree with you that we are not the customer, but I can certainly appreciate the man hours and skills applied. I also understand that you'll never get it if you don't ask.

You never know. If the right buyer sees them, $30K may seem like a bargain. I wouldn't build them for anything less. Heck, my dance card is full, it would take more than that to get me to take on the project.

A beautiful interpretation of a classic. I hope he connects with the right buyer. Based on what I am seeing and from the description, I doubt a better sounding pair of A-7s are out there.

Widget

As I said before, huge Kudos to BradMich for great workmanship on some beautiful speakers. It is very difficulty to get your money back out of something like this - it's like building your dreamhouse, then trying to sell it. Just because it's your dream, doesn't make it someone else's. Even if someone likes the speakers, and has the money, they may not like the wood species you used, and don't want them. I remember Woody Banks built some gorgeous 4355 variants and tried for quite some time to sell them, before parting them out. Widget has the advantage of coming to the transaction from the opposite direction - he has exposure to wealthy clients who want a music system, they pay him to design that system, and if needed, will build them speakers as part of that system, but the budget and design are decided before he does the work.

I wish you luck with your sale, and also request that other LH'ers not jump on BradMich over whether or not they agree with the asking price or value. Contaminating his sale doesn't get us anywhere. Lastly, is there a better place to list your speakers for sale? I sell stuff on Audiogon.com occasionally, and have had really good experiences with the people I've met. Consider giving it a try - I think you can either pay up front for a 30 day listing for 2% or so of your price, or pay 4% after the sale, which lets you relist it until it's sold, or cancel it at little or no charge.

Welcome to the forum, btw
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Thanks Widget and HCSGuy!!!

Thanks Widget and HCSGuy!!! - I truly appreciate your support and perspective.

You’ve had your hands dirty and know what it takes. It’s easy to surmise; “alls-you-gotta-do” if you’ve never done it. As you know all too well, to do an average build is 1x work - great work is 3x.

I’m not getting rich; was 300+ hours and almost $7K of materials alone - was done to keep my sanity for being indoors over the Covid winter. I love looking at other folks work and insight on this forum (people have shared some really great advise as I'm new to VOTTs) - was just trying to provide my contribution.

Thanks again!

If you check Kenrick prices, these are likely right in line.

I'm just enjoying your showing us your craftsmanship!

Best of luck.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information