Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went STUPID/nuts on a VOTT resto-mod! COVID did me in!

Went STUPID/nuts on a VOTT resto-mod! COVID did me in!

Hey gang, thought you might enjoy these...

The COVID winter took a toll on me; what’s an audio restorer to do?... well, here ya go!

Design Goals
    The goal was to recreate/update a classic that would be the ultimate fantasy for any audio mancave or home theater system.
    But not just big, something elegant yet retro for the speaker’s time period, something even a spouse would like. The woofer’s convex opening is super-cool/distinctive and the grilles had to be just as… complimenting the woofer opening to bring natural balance to the design. Behind the grille is the precise port opening as the original design spec. Rather than typical grille cloth, metal grating with oblong holes (similar in shape to the speaker opening) were incorporated to invoke a rugged look as homage to the original industrial-use intent of the speaker.

Construction
    Like the Altec’s original VOTT build design, the cabinets were constructed utilizing Medium Density Overlay (MDO) plywood. MDO is significantly heavier (more durable) and more costly than birch or other materials such as MDF or particle board. All Internal bracing is hardwood and all wood joints are dadoed (Not butt-jointed) and glued.

Additional internal hardwood cross-bracing was incorporated to reduce cabinet resonance. The concave section on either side of the woofer is fully-braced with matching curved hardwood, then filled with reinforcing/expanding form to further to reduce resonance.
    All of the bottom interior walls are covered in sound absorption foam to reduce standing waves.
    The exterior was carefully veneered in Rotary Walnut, then finished with 7 coats of Piano lacquer - sanded between coats. The solid aluminum legs are easily removable and the cabinet’s built-in carpet sliders make moving easy (each weigh 150 lbs.+). The 511b horn braces are customized brass fittings. Even the speaker Altec emblems are flushed into the veneer face as are the brilliance/presence control plates in the rear. The custom grilles readily snap on/off in the unlikely event that any future maintenance is required.

The Drivers
    The woofers are as new. They were originally Altec 421s; re-coned to 416s and the magnets re-gaussed by Great Plains Audio – THE Altec guy! (Thanks Bill!). The 808a’s were dismantled and rebuilt with new original-spec diaphragms (not the cheaper Chinese versions) by Great Plains as well.

The Horns
    All pits and seams were painstakingly filled and sanded, then powder-coated for an incredibly durable and beautiful finish. The 511b horns are known to “sing” - to mitigate that effect, sound deadening material was fused to the bottom (See pic).

The Crossovers (See pic)
    An updated Model 19 crossover design was utilized to flatten the response from the originals as well as provide additional “presence” control for the compression drivers. French-made Solen Caps and open air-core inductors were leveraged. High quality binding posts, all connections soldered (where possible) and 12-gauge wiring was integrated throughout the cabinet.

Just finishing an absolutely beautiful (perfect!) set of JBL 4311’s that will soon be on e-bay.
    Name:  both bottom up 6.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  both top down.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  back og 808 -2.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  crossovers x2.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  301.8 KB

Name:  interiors w cross2.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  183.1 KB

Those are breath taking. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Wow! All I have to show from COVID winter is 10 extra pounds around my waist

Those look gorgeous. I have no experience with vintage Altec stuff, but I really appreciate the amount of time you put into them.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Very, very nicely done! Really appreciate the attention to detail and your careful execution.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

Widget

I love how you repeated the shape of the horn throat in the cover for the reflex port.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Very nice job.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

The home theater will be proud of that Altec voice for sure... Really nice cabs!

Fantastic!

How do you move them, and, if you share the house with someone, where will the speakers reside? (Or should I ask, "Where will you reside?")
    Out.

That's some amazingly gorgeous work!
    A fine attention to detail throughout!
    Hard to associate those with the usual big grey VOTT systems we typically see!

Attachment 88613
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That A-4 is going to take a lot of veneer!

Widget

Thanks Gang!

Thanks for the kinds words, It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish. Yes, they're too big for my household, going to need someone with a huge room to enjoy their potential. I'm just starting on my second pair for but this time with a twist.- Gonna see it I can up the game.

Here's a few more Close ups

Name:  CU of Grille.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  CU2 of woofer- good.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  CU808 sticker2.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  cabinet back.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  159.2 KB

woodwork looks great, and sure they sound great too.

must be very heavy , personally I would mount on rubber casters to
    make placement , moving a little easier.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

RE "It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish."

If cold is what gets you going like that, then i suggest you move to cold Canada where you'll have time to make another nice pair... Maybe for me??

perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    RE "It was a cold (Live in Michigan), long winter so was not in a rush to finish."

If cold is what gets you going like that, then i suggest you move to cold Canada where you'll have time to make another nice pair... Maybe for me??

Well......I am starting on a 2nd pair now (It's gonna rain for the next 30 days) ...should be completed by end of summer (How I've been married for almost 40 years - stay busy in the shop)

Not my cup of tea, but very nice. For $30K??? Seems a bit excessive.

Thread Information