Thread: JBL mid bass drivers K120 vs D131

JBL mid bass drivers K120 vs D131

I have Edgarhorn Titan speakers. Originally the mid bass drivers were K-120, 8 ohms. Around 15 years ago, I changed to D-131, 16 ohms. I cannot remember clearly but I think the crossover had to be adjusted to accommodate the 16 ohm D-131 but like I said I don't know if anything was really done. Swapping 8 ohms and 16 ohms, should the crossovers be adjusted accordingly? I want to try the K-120's again but not sure if this is something worthwhile to pursue... i.e. I believe the D-131 is favored, slightly, over the K-120. In one speaker, I have to re-cone the D-131 because I damaged the aluminum dome while I was cleaning it. I had to fumigate the speaker because of termites! During the re-coning of the D-131, I am considering to try out the K-120, 8 ohms, but no point in trying if the crossovers have been set for 16 ohm drivers. Or is there no significant difference between using an 8 ohm or 16 ohm driver? Thanks.

Why not just replace the aluminum dust-dome?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Several thoughts.

1. Depending on the years of production, the D131 woofer and the K120 are identical speakers.

2. Changing from an 8 ohm woofer to its 16 ohm version will require adjusting a passive crossover.

3. If the only damage done to the woofer is a dented aluminum dome, do not recone the speaker. JBL no longer offers replacement kits for these speakers. As BMW suggests above, a good reconer can replace just the dome.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by listenhere View Post
    I have Edgarhorn Titan speakers. Originally the mid bass drivers were K-120, 8 ohms. Around 15 years ago, I changed to D-131, 16 ohms. I cannot remember clearly but I think the crossover had to be adjusted to accommodate the 16 ohm D-131 but like I said I don't know if anything was really done. Swapping 8 ohms and 16 ohms, should the crossovers be adjusted accordingly? I want to try the K-120's again but not sure if this is something worthwhile to pursue... i.e. I believe the D-131 is favored, slightly, over the K-120. In one speaker, I have to re-cone the D-131 because I damaged the aluminum dome while I was cleaning it. I had to fumigate the speaker because of termites! During the re-coning of the D-131, I am considering to try out the K-120, 8 ohms, but no point in trying if the crossovers have been set for 16 ohm drivers. Or is there no significant difference between using an 8 ohm or 16 ohm driver? Thanks.

Put a multimeter on each of those drivers and measure their respective dcr's.

You may very well find that they are the same ( no matter what the back labels say ).

One driver is considered "Consumer" while the other is M.I. and JBL was known to use different impedance "labelling" protocols ( dependent on intended usage ).

Thread Information