Thread: Building a Model 19

Building a Model 19

Greetings,

After a long, long hiatus, I return with a question...I sold my Model 19's, which I bought new, some 40 years ago, seeking audio nirvana. I went through Thiel's, Von Schweikert's, Dunlavy's, Magneplaner's, Martin Logan's, Focal's, you name it. I even built, at great expense, a pair of Altec 604 based speakers, modeling them after Stephaen's system, in a larger cabinet, the dimensions I got from Pete Riggle. After trying 5 different sets of renown crossover designs, including the original, I could never get the "shoutiness" out of the driver some. Some music was magical, some you just couldn't listen to. I remember my 19's being great across the board. What I loved about those speakers wasn't that they went deep. They didn't have that "airy" midrange. They didn't have that "sparkle" at the top. No, I'm sure they were far from "accurate," but they sounded like live music, and the dynamics were incredible, nothing a dynamic speaker could compete with.

So, I find myself considering going back to a pair, but this time, building them new using Great Plains components. I'm not sure if I can convince my wife to allow another washer/dryer in the great room. I truly wish I could find something that sounded like them at half the size, but I haven't, and I went to damn near every room at CES for years.

Has anyone built a pair of 19's using Great Plains components? Results? Has anyone successfully built something smaller that gets you 95% there? After my experience with the 604, I won't go that route again. Any other suggestions would be fantastic. I'd love to get a pair of the new JBL Summit Series, but want to keep the investment under $5K.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDweller View Post
    ...seeking audio nirvana. I went through Thiel's, Von Schweikert's, Dunlavy's, Magneplaner's, Martin Logan's, Focal's, you name it.
    I hear you brother, I hear you. I think your thought process is rational and you are headed in the right direction.

There is something magical about these high sensitivity systems that while they are not capable of the audiophile experience, at the end of the day, they are more likely to make your toes tap and make you feel like you are listening to music instead of a refined portrayal of music.

If budget wasn't a concern, I would strongly urge you to consider the DD67000s, or if bass extension really isn't important or real estate is, I'd suggest the K2-S9900. But then again, financial realities bringing us back down to earth, I think the Model 19 is a fine compromise.

On the Model 19, I would probably try to find an existing pair and rehab them, or I would build a pair with the 511 horn as it is less shouty than the 811 in my experience.

Widget

I had thought of buying a pair and refurbishing them, but by the time I get them shipped to me, send the drivers out to be rebuilt, deal with the cabinets, etc., I could buy new cabinets and drivers for not that far off of used.

Indeed, the Project Everest speakers look absolutely amazing, as do the 9900's. I heard the 9900's at a shop in Tokyo, and they are spectacular. I have to admit though, if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd have to go with the Avantgarde's.

Avantgardes— It’s been over 15 years since I have heard any. At the time I heard their Trio model. I thought they were respectable then, but not blown away. I imagine they have only gotten better.

Widget

Thread Information