Thread: Removing back panel of my 250ti's for tweeter access.

Removing back panel of my 250ti's for tweeter access.

Anyone have a few tips on removing the upper back panel on a 250ti to gain access to the tweeter. I tried a few times without success and do not want to destroy the panel or surround. My 250ti's were bought new in 1989 and they are in perfect condition so
    I would like to find a way to remove this panel without damage. Any way to get at it from the inside to push it out. I don't see a way to get at it from the inside. Thanks for any info/help.

The panel is not glued or attached in any other way.
    It's stuck just because it's been sitting there for a long time.

Remove all screws. Insert a wood screw or two of larger dimension into the holes and pull out the panel.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

Remove all screws. Insert a wood screw or two of larger dimension into the holes and pull out the panel.
    Excellent tip Odd. That will get it done pretty easy I hope. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Knowing that I'll have to replace my 044ti's foams at some point,
    I too have wondered abt getting that panel out ??

pull the mid , put an arm in there and bang on the panel from inside ???

drill a hole in the panel, insert a wing bolt and pull out ? (then cut the bolt and fill the hole ??)

read an old thread on this but can't find now.
    Exact reason why I want them out SEAWOLF97 to get those 044ti tweeters new foam. I pulled the mid range out and its boxed in on mine. If I had some really thin arms to reach back and up but getting force
    to push it out the back would be tough. On my LE250ti's its simple just 4 screws up front but they are the 035ti tweeters. I had a JBL repair center in California fix a dent in one of my backup 104H mid ranges and they mentioned
    about doing the foam on the tweeter. I said that I would send them the tweeters once I figure out how to get them out.

Thanks to all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

That worked like a charm Odd. Thanks for the info. I had wood screws #12 x 1-1/4 inch and put one in a few turns on the
    bottom longer section of the panel and it popped right out. Took me all of two minutes once all the panel screws were out.
    Now I have the tweeters out and can get the damper foam changed on them.

So I did one of my 044ti tweeters from my 250ti's yesterday by using the multiple screwdriver MacGyver move and it was quite easy. It was time consuming for it to release but finally did. I was surprised to see the foam plug still had its original shape but could tell by feel that it will fall apart and its not pliable. There was a good amount of residue stuck to the diaphragm inside but not too bad. I have the foam set coming tomorrow that I got off ebay and will use it on my 044ti tweeters. Now just have to set up the other one with the screwdrivers. Thanks to this site and all the great tips from the folks who have done these repairs. I don't normally work on stereo electronics but can do home electric and have repaired many appliances. So it was not too hard for me. The worst part is the design of those tweeters with the wood and double sided tape. On my LE250ti's took apart the two 035ti tweeters along with 3 extra sets that I was given by the JBL fan who sold me the LE250ti's. They were simple to check out for the the foam plug condition.

So while my 044ti tweeters are apart and just received the set of new foam dampers I decided to try the foam out on my LE250ti 035tia tweeters which are original from 1989. The foam was rather crumbling and deposits were left inside the dome. I have been told by a few JBL enthusiasts that
    changing this foam will bring back the original sound to these tweeters. While I have always been a little skeptical I figured lets try it on the 035's before doing the 044's. Well I was quite surprised and impressed after installing the new foam on these tweeters. The difference is certainly obvious
    and I was very happy with the results. Have another set coming on Monday and will do the 044ti's then. What I thought would be a hard fix and I was going to send them out turned out to be a real simple fix and worth it. Wish I could do the woofer re-edge that easily.

Thread Information