Thread: Repair/refoam 14-1 in Atlanta

Repair/refoam 14-1 in Atlanta

Basketball + grandkids = needed repair. I have moved to Atlanta area and need to at least get reformed as it is ripped. I vacuumed out the dust cap with success but then saw the foam was ripped in a couple spots. I thought I remember a member who had a shop in this area, not sure. I searched but no luck. Is there a recommended place in Atlanta for driver repairs?

thanks

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

GordonW is in that area, no idea what his company is called.

LE14-1 was the easiest refoam that I've done.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Willing to pay , I am not safe around glue, scissors, chemicals ....tried once, had to throw away, glue everywhere ,screw driver through cone....not one for arts and crafts, wasn’t 14-1 at least

moving away from jbl going with Legacy. Keeping beat cabinet 250TIs for garage. leaving 3 120ti in theater room when we sell house in a year or less and make determination of 250TIs with CC x-over at that time. I have a new Center channel currently and ordered surrounds from Legacy,waiting for delivery, paired with 250TIs in “man cave”. I will be getting Focus XD model when we move.

edit found a Gordon w at The Audio Company in Atlanta , trying to call ...
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Am I seeing that right...you're leaving 3 120ti's behind? They are the hardest to find of the Ti series.
    Luxman R-117*Luxman DZ-111*Technics SL-BD22*JBL 250Ti*JBL 240Ti*JBL 18Ti*HSU VTF-15H MK2*Crown XLi 2500*Sennheiser HD250

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    leaving 3 120ti in theater room when we sell house in a year or less
    If it's too much for you to move them and you need to get them gone, I will graciously offer to drive up and remove them from your soon-to-be-former home. I probably won't even charge you for this service. If you ever want them back, you'll know where to find them. Heck, I'd probably even help you move them then, too!

Good luck on your move. Maybe the new house won't be the house where bass goes to die!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I probably be willing to trade for working replacements that work for the space. I need Klipsch to match the subs, with Atmos built in, they have them. I also have 4 woofers , three are good one is questionable and I have 5 I think spare x-overs. I don’t have any mid range which aren’t pushed in dust caps but I could give up a spare tweeter. The jbl fit just below screen height , there is a built in center I am not using currently because the jbl s all match. There is a built in Klipsch which will match but not the same as 3 of the same speakers as it is now

I am selling the house next spring with working smart home and theater which is what I thought I bought. It may actually look better with the Klipsch to buyers but may sound better the JBLs . So if it worth you doing the work I could swap JBL for Klipsch

Anybody serious shop Klipsch and contact me...near Atlanta

ps anybody know of speaker stand which get the off the floor 1-3 inches and point up slightly? And cost less then IsoAccoustics?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Anybody serious shop Klipsch and contact me...near Atlanta
    Not really sure what your application needs but these are for sale near me, along with plenty of others.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Mark,

RE "ps anybody know of speaker stand which get the off the floor 1-3 inches and point up slightly? And cost less then IsoAccoustics?"

You can make stands for little money. In his book Designing, Building , and Testing Your Own Speaker System, 4th ed., David B. Weems gives plans for a wood made low profile speaker stand (P. 29-30). Can't copy it here, copyrighted stuff, but if you can borrow the book or consult it at a local library then it makes things easier.

I've inspired myself from Weems' design, didn't clone them, ok up to medium size speakers, lifts speaker about 4" off the floor and they have box tilt back of 6-7° Made 2 pairs, one MDF and one real wood, lent real wood pair and it never came back... (wife's cousin, damn it)

Recently saw a pair of JBL metal stands for L100 Classic (see pic) and the specs mentioned a 7° tilt back angle (can't find right now in my computer that spec sheet). So JBL's 7° angle and Weems' 6-7° are pretty close. But JBL's stand is higher off the floor. Regards,

Richard

Name:  JBL L100 Classic 75 CES 2021 Release.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  48.7 KB

Richard, thx for the info. I will work towards the 6-7 degrees. I liked the metal stands pictured but ones like that were to expensive for my plans , also too high unfortunately. There is not enough space for that much lift . I remember when we had a listening party and played with these , they did sound best at a raised height with tweeter ear level of higher when we sitting. Due to to room physics it just can’t happen anyway., I may use cheap feet or something eventually.

I saw the Klipsch speakers I was thinking of using at Costco , they really won’t work so leaving what I have in place seems best. I am still working on the initial setup, have techs coming back for wiring closet and additional smart home configuration so this is more like icing on the cake now. For example The Atmos add on front speakers only make sounds when setting the levels but not during use. They worked at first I think. Only a week or so into the home theater use.

I have made contact with Gordon and replaced the damaged woofer and also the LE mid in the garage 250s. Both replacements sounded fine, the mid has a pushed in dust cap too but appears and sounds fine other wise. His shop is closed today so tomorrow I will take the 2 drivers in and talk his ear off probably. I did speak to him about coming over eventually and checking out what I have to verify all is good and even possibly check all drivers are phased correctly in both sets or 250s.
    it got confusing when I got charge coupled crossovers for the TIBQ Europe which is what Guido had access to in GM they were made after JBL switched polarity to be used in my older 250TIs which were pre switch.Also the tweeter is a 44 while the tweeter the x-over was made for is the 35tia I think with a lower xover point maybe?. On top of that the was some discussion of a possible mislabeled diagram o the 250s from JBl.They are pretty big to move 4 them to his shop for testing and always seem to damage the cabinets at least some any time they are moved an inch or more!

I think I have more than enough parts to just replace anything in the 120s if needed once I sit down and verify all good with them, 1 sounded off I think at one point I think, not sure

so all going well enough , sounds pretty good now and will be better when done. The other room sounds better for music so does the garage lol

Mark

Thread Information