Thread: Planning a listen off, old vs the new kid

Planning a listen off, old vs the new kid

Wife went out of town for the week. I finally get to settle in to the recliner and run some frequency sweeps and sound comparisons between my fav bookshelf’s the L1, L20T3, RBH reference and my new 530 that I bought on the last sale. So far, playing it bi-amped with a Nakamichi PA-1, ive been very impressed. It’s kind of a proving grounds for venturing into a pair of 590. I just picked up a pair of L7 in wonderful condition so I’m having a bit of guilt on the desire for a 590 purchase. I missed the last sale by a day which could be a good thing. I’m not sure how the 590 will compare against my L100T, L80t, L3 and L7. After listening to the L7 bi-amped on my flagship Rotel, it’s jaw dropping/life altering. It has so much power and presence.

I ask too much of the good people here. But if I could get your tacit approval on the 590, that would get me closer for apologizing for the purchase than asking for permission. I would be interested in some opinions from folks that have, or do own both.

I'd say the evidence favors your intentions. Plus, I'd like to hear your thoughts on comparing the 590 to the L7!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I can't compare the 590, but I can say I've heard L7's through some sort of 90's Kenwood preamp and Adcom GFA 555 II amp, the very amp I bought and have been using the past eight months or so. They sounded terrible despite everything I've read, not sure why. Could be the source or that preamp but I remember kind of regretting my purchase of the 555 II. However, when I got it set up at my house and powering my XPL200's, I was very impressed. Then when I bought the second one and bridged both to power my L150A's, I was blown away.

Thread Information