Thread: M2 vs 4430/35

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M2 vs 4430/35

How far has reproduced sound quality really advanced in the last 40 yrs? Any thoughts on a fully active 4430/35 with DSP vs M2?

The drivers have improved so that makes a difference. It would be fun to compare.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    The drivers have improved so that makes a difference. It would be fun to compare.

Rob
    Hi Robh3606,

To be really correct, the mentioned 44xx have to be "actively driven" ,and after that to make final decision, as M2 has no passive option. I would expect that 4435 LF section would overcome M2 LF section.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Robh3606,

I would expect that 4435 LF section would overcome M2 LF section.

Regards
    Ivica
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Those 2216's are quite capable. The 2234's may win an SPL contest but I doubt they will sound better in the upper part of the range.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Those 2216's are quite capable. The 2234's may win an SPL contest but I doubt they will sound better in the upper part of the range.

Rob
    Lf cones are still made from paper and aluminium is still widely used ( and sometimes preferred) in compression drivers.Through research, materials used in transducers have now given engineers a better understanding of their physical properties, but has that really elevated sound quality? I believe the M2 enclosure is larger than 4430 but smaller than 4435. Is the 4435 lower in distortion and more capable of greater spl than the M2 at the low end? JBL driver manufacturing tolerances have always been to the highest industry standard right back from when James B Lansing ran the company. That I believe that is a major contribution to the quality of reproduced sound. With the number of 4430/35 units the were made someone out there must be able to put active versions head to head. The M2 is a class leader but with DSP the 4430/35 Could be a close second, maybe even ahead in some areas?

Cone material is one thing. Dual differential drive, low TCR voice coils to combat power compression, better adhesives, higher power handling and lower distortion, greater X-max is a potent combination of improvements.

Lower distortion and higher power handling in compression drivers as well with extended HF range.

Would be fun to try but remember this 40 year old woofer technology in the 4430/4435's and older considering the compression driver design. Same with the 2344 Horn 40 years on.

Rob

Thread Information