Thread: Repairshop in NY/NJ area for 4333A

Repairshop in NY/NJ area for 4333A

Hello,

My 4333A's are in need of repair. At the very least, the 2231As will need to have the surrounds replaced. One may need to be re-coned, in which case I would re-cone both. I would like to have an authorized or well-respected JBL repair shop do the repairs with original parts if still available. Can anyone recommend a shop within a couple of hours driving distance from the NY/NJ area?

I would probably use Gabriel Sound ( https://www.speakerrecone.net/ ). Any personal experience with them?

I would like to take great care of my babies. Thanks for your assistance.
    EJ

A few things... 2231 recone kits have been unavailable for quite some time. The suggested factory replacement (2235) kits -may- also now be unavailable... Perhaps you'll get lucky in either being able to have a proper re-surround performed, or that your reconer can locate JBL C8R2235 kits. Folks seem to hear a difference between the 2231 and 2235 kits (for better or worse), but if a recone is required, that's pretty much the only option... other than aftermarket kits... which are hard to recommend in general, as reproduction performance/quality is all over the map.

Hope you get a helpful response regarding your local repair shop's reputation (good -or- bad), or alternatives.

Thanks for your reply.

I figured that the re-cone kits would be no longer available (even the C8R2235 kits). I have put some feelers out but I am not holding my breath. Agreed, aftermarket is not an option with these.
    EJ

Wondering about 2216Nd as a current/serviceable replacement, possibly an improvement... seems like someone may have tried this in an L300 (not far off).

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Wondering about 2216Nd as a current/serviceable replacement, possibly an improvement... seems like someone may have tried this in an L300 (not far off).
    Not quite having stock 4333B's, I replaced the 2235H's with 2216Nd's. Crossovers were replaced with the Pass charge coupled units. I did not A/B non-modified verses modified directly, but I did note a significant clarity increase in the lower midrange. I also think the bass is flatter and much clearer. New woofers needed suspension brake in. The lower bass was down from the 2235's for the first few months. My opinion is, the 2216Nd is a much better match for the 2420 compression driver and horn/lens assembly. The midrange is very very good. Both mid and hf attenuators are set to zero. Hence, my thought is, the 2216Nd is not only a direct replacement, but a considerable improvement.

Regards

John

Apparently, the C8R2235 kits are still available, so will go with originality. I will keep the 2216Nd in mind in the future though. Thanks.
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by club900fe View Post
    Apparently, the C8R2235 kits are still available, so will go with originality. I will keep the 2216Nd in mind in the future though. Thanks.
    If they are and you can get them properly installed, that would be my choice, if only to keep the woofers serviceable.

That said, I would also be very tempted to try the 2216Nds in there.

Widget

Hello,

My 4333A's are in need of repair. At the very least, the 2231As will need to have the surrounds replaced. One may need to be re-coned, in which case I would re-cone both. I would like to have an authorized or well-respected JBL repair shop do the repairs with original parts if still available. Can anyone recommend a shop within a couple of hours driving distance from the NY/NJ area?

I would probably use Gabriel Sound ( https://www.speakerrecone.net/ ). Any personal experience with them?

Hi club900fe,

I would suggest to contact by email, as it was written in the [email protected] )

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post282407

as may of the forum members are satisfied with such re-foam.
    I would suggest You to keep your 2231A cone and only to re-foam them (by yourself of by shop ).

Regards
    ivica

Ivica, thanks for the referral.
    EJ

Hello,

Yes I have been using Triple S service in Bloomfield NJ for almost 20 years now. Having my LE14 drivers from my 250ti's re-edged by them right now and they have done others for me in the past. They are an authorized repair dealer for JBL and do great work. Not many originals parts available for lots of JBL's anymore.
    Hope this helps. See the link below.

http://triplesservice.com/

Thread Information