Thread: Looking for someone that knows the designers of the L1/2/3/5 & 7.

Looking for someone that knows the designers of the L1/2/3/5 & 7.

What I’m trying to find out is, who were the cooks in the kitchen so to speak with this series. I believe this was the last series to be US designed and, US made back in the 90’s. I would think, that there would be some very talented and reputable engineers on the design team.

The manual on the L7 had a three page addendum that discussed bi-amping and bi-wiring in good technical detail. What ever mode you decide to use is a supported method.

If you'd made it through the entire '90s L-series thread you'd have seen reference to the L7 supplement, T-dome's instructions covering the famous blue wire, and you would have met Chris Hagen, a member here who was the designer for that series and who comments in that thread. Most recently Chris was brought back into the Harman family as designer of the new L100 Classic.

It's a long thread but chock-full of meat for L-series owners and enthusiasts.

BTW, I don't know what an L2 is???

Enjoy.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Enjoy.
    that's a smaller L4 ... duh.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Phil referenced the thread - but did not link -
    The JBL L series thread by Titanium Dome is here
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Series-(1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by clwinbe View Post
    What I’m trying to find out is, who were the cooks in the kitchen so to speak with this series. I believe this was the last series to be US designed and, US made back in the 90’s. I would think, that there would be some very talented and reputable engineers on the design team.

The manual on the L7 had a three page addendum that discussed bi-amping and bi-wiring in good technical detail. What ever mode you decide to use is a supported method.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Some L series speakers were designed by David Smith.

"David was responsible for such systems as the L15 and L46 for the Consumer Division", so the list might include others not specifically mentioned.

Btw Lenbrook Industries, mentioned in attached pdf about David Smith, owns NAD, PSB speakers, etc. and also distributes in Canada B&O and Tivoli.

There's another interesting and long interview with him on TNT-Audio but copyright issues prevent me from posting it here since it wouldn't be JBL material posted on a JBL related forum.

Small excerpt from that Smith TNT-Audio interview "In the last few years so much has moved to China that there are very few firms with real engineering or product development in North America, I now work in the digital cinema field for a firm in Toronto." Pretty sad.

David Smith at JBL-interview- SMITH RECALLS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If you'd made it through the entire '90s L-series thread you'd have seen reference to the L7 supplement, T-dome's instructions covering the famous blue wire, and you would have met Chris Hagen, a member here who was the designer for that series and who comments in that thread. Most recently Chris was brought back into the Harman family as designer of the new L100 Classic.

It's a long thread but chock-full of meat for L-series owners and enthusiasts.

Enjoy.
    Im the only one that has them cause mamma said I’m special. My bad

Happy new L7 owner…..sorta

Confession time. I had a chance to pick up a pair of L7 last week. for a great price. I’ve waited for years for a shot at a clean pair. I inspected the drivers all good. Take them home and set them up in my main theater room. While adjusting them I finally took notice that they are both left side….remember in Bugs bunny, before something bad happens, and the sign pops up “moron”. I didn’t loose out money wise. I could easily part them out and make a healthy profit. So…….

#1. Does anyone have a right side cabinet that I could buy?

#2. The only placement I have is between cabinets. It’s a tighter fit and totally opposed to an optimal position. The base was boxy/boomy as I expected. I tried a different config where I set
    the
    L7 as small and crossed at 70hz. My twin RBH 1010-sen/reference subs are mind altering. I toed them in slightly, then configured my unused two channels on my massive Crestron 7x200 for bi-amping (I took a beating for mentioning bi-amping on another site. It’s a supported configuration).

The result was so amazing. Massive soundstage, beautiful imaging and as clear as any speaker I’ve ever owned. My L-200t became second fiddle by a long shot. Name:  3EAEB6B0-5B27-4026-AAFD-5B3F65BBA2D5.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  76.5 KBName:  28536A1B-BDEB-4F3C-824F-B988AB53ECCC.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  67.5 KB

Thread Information