Thread: 2397 horns with a baffle?

Question 2397 horns with a baffle?

I've been running a pair of these at home with 375s for 20+ years now. I love horn dynamics and I love how transparent and invisible the 2397s are. Just recently looking over the JBL literature I noticed it says the results were achieved with the 2440 and vertical coverage is nominally 60º with a cylindrical baffle.. I've just never seen anyone set these horns up with a baffle, including myself. Mine have always just sat on my Harkness boxes with a bit of downward incline, as I saw when I first set them up that the flattest response was measured at 30º. Closest I have seen to use with a baffle is the Westlake monitors with their iterations of the Smith horn, but that is also not a cylindrical baffle.How do we suppose the output is affected by use without a baffle..? Less than the nominal 60º of coverage using with the baffle gets presumably? Does anyone have a picture of the recommended circular baffle setup? I searched online without luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C40/N400/150-4C/375/2397/2405/D123 (rear) + D208 - LE8T

Yep, I read that about the cylindrical baffle too. I made a pair with a smaller 1" baffle and subjectively I couldn't tell if there was a difference. Back then my ability to take truly meaningful measurements was rather lacking so I never measured the effects of adding the baffle.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...5-Wooden-Horns

Widget

Hello,
    Me too after several tests with different horns I kept the 2397 then I tried several super-tweeter and I like the result with AMT-1, last year I tinkered with panels following a reading about 2397 and the result is not dramatic but it is better and my measurements with REW confirm that, the frequency response is more straight (measurements taken at the listening position) I do not know where these measurements are unfortunately but it doesn't cost much to try.

However I am curious about these
    cylindrical baffle...
    Music is emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hello,
    Me too after several tests with different horns I kept the 2397 then I tried several super-tweeter and I like the result with AMT-1, last year I tinkered with panels following a reading about 2397 and the result is not dramatic but it is better and my measurements with REW confirm that, the frequency response is more straight (measurements taken at the listening position) I do not know where these measurements are unfortunately but it doesn't cost much to try.

cylindrical baffle...
    I spy another XTA user...

I do like that smith-horn smile!
    And the great Heil combo makes it all the more interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by macsic View Post
    Hello,

cylindrical baffle...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

But a question remains, what are these cylindrical baffle for the 2397?

Do you refer with this old thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...42-2397-baffle

Music is emotion.

Thread Information