Thread: XPL 140s

XPL 140s

I got a pair of XPL 140s on their way here. Been reading up on them. Are there foam inside the mid range and the tweeter that breaks down after a while? Can it be replaced? I saw some things on line that say it can, but Midwest Speaker Repair and Speaker Repair pros say it's it's a good way to destroy them. I would appreciate some good answers on this. Any of the repair experts on here do this kind of thing?
    Thanks.

The midrange dome has a ring of foam behind the diamond surround area. There is also foam in the back cap. Nowhere near the dome, just damping the inside of the housing. Just my own opinion, it's not as serious when the foam deteriorates at the surround compared to the 035 or 044 types where the foam is pressing against the back of the dome itself. It hasn't bothered me when listening. It's OK to disassemble the midranges to look at what you have. I disassembled mine a few times and put them back together, to push out dents from the inside, and to fix broken voice coil wires. No special alignment was needed to put them back together. And they sounded the same or better afterwards. It would probably be possible to find some thin foam weatherstrip to replace that foam ring, but I haven't tried. I haven't disassembled any of my tweeters, I suspect that there is foam in the domes, just like the other JBL tweeters. I'd use the foam plugs from ebay if I were going to attack those. If you can locate some aqualpas, it's worth coating the domes with it while you're working on them.

Name:  middome.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  151.1 KB

XPL 140s

Thaanks Don, appreciate it. i'm hoping one of the repair experts on here can help with this. I don't want to mess with them, my hands just ain't what they used to be. I have a few bucks set aside for this, will pay well.

Thread Information