Thread: Restoring JBL 4435s

Restoring JBL 4435s

Hi all, my first post.
    Three years ago I purchased 4435s for $900.00 US. They were in vary, vary bad shape. Had to remove a wasp nest from the one horn! New foam surrounds, new blue grills, new dust caps,
    and paint the horns mat black. Soon to have new walnut veneer. I'm running them biamped using the switch on the back. These things sound better then all my other speakers. Two questions.
    1. All 4 woofers are 2234h. There are two pairs on ebay now that have 2234 and 2235 in them. To fine them, search "JBL 4435 studio" on ebay. I think mine are correct. Who is right?
    2. I moved the crossover point to 660Hz. Sounds better to me for Jazz. Taking some mids out of the woofers. My xover is 18db/oct, I think the passive xovers are 12db/oct. That do think about the lower xover point?

Some speakers I own: JBL 4315,L300, L150, 4312, 4435, McIntosh XRT-18

Thanks, Gary

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, all four woofers should be 2234H. The 4435 was specifically designed around the response of the 2234H.

Widget

If it sounds good it is good. That said the minimum crossover frequency specced by JBL for the 2344 horn used in that cabinet is 800hz and the stock passive networks have an effective crossover point of about 1khz. You may find that you end up replacing the HF diaphragms in the drivers a little sooner than they might last otherwise. I run the same drivers and horns at 1100 hz with a fourth order electronic crossover but then I'm using a 12" mid bass driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteresis View Post
    Hi all, my first post.
    2. I moved the crossover point to 660Hz. Sounds better to me for Jazz. Taking some mids out of the woofers. My xover is 18db/oct, I think the passive xovers are 12db/oct. That do think about the lower xover point?

Thanks, Gary

Thanks for the replies. Gary

Thread Information