Thread: JBL 250TI powered by Outlaw 110W Receiver?

JBL 250TI powered by Outlaw 110W Receiver?

The best I've ever heard my 250TI's sound was with a Pioneer SX-1980 receiver which is underrated at 270wpc. Unfortunately one channel fizzed out so I sold it to someone willing to deal with it. (kind of regret that now)

I think I already know the answer to this but thought I would ask this forum your thoughts on using an Outlaw RR2160MKII receiver for the 250TIs. It's only a 110W@8ohms / 175@4ohms receiver but as I understand it's a great amp and has a decent phono stage.

Other options:

1. I have a Crown XLS2502 with 440wpc of Class D power, but lack a good preamp for it, so I could focus on finding a good pre like a Van Alstine or Parasound.
    2. There is a Harman Citation 7.1 amp available to me that can be bridged to run 2 channels at 450wpc, but it's from the mid-90's and likely to need a recap at some point, and I'd still need a good preamp.
    3. Quit screwing around and get a big iron Bryston, Krell, Mac, Levinson, Parasound, etc for more money than I'd like to spend but can buy once and cry once.

Sources are vinyl and digital.

Quote Originally Posted by VinylGroove View Post
    The best I've ever heard my 250TI's sound was with a Pioneer SX-1980 receiver which is underrated at 270wpc. Unfortunately one channel fizzed out so I sold it to someone willing to deal with it. (kind of regret that now)

I think I already know the answer to this but thought I would ask this forum your thoughts on using an Outlaw RR2160MKII receiver for the 250TIs. It's only a 110W@8ohms / 175@4ohms receiver but as I understand it's a great amp and has a decent phono stage.

Other options:

1. I have a Crown XLS2502 with 440wpc of Class D power, but lack a good preamp for it, so I could focus on finding a good pre like a Van Alstine or Parasound.
    2. There is a Harman Citation 7.1 amp available to me that can be bridged to run 2 channels at 450wpc, but it's from the mid-90's and likely to need a recap at some point, and I'd still need a good preamp.
    3. Quit screwing around and get a big iron Bryston, Krell, Mac, Levinson, Parasound, etc for more money than I'd like to spend but can buy once and cry once.

Sources are vinyl and digital.
    I also have 250Ti's .... tried on a 110wpc Denon receiver ... that was OK , but they really came alive with a 375wpc BGW amp.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I like your "buy once and cry once" comment When we sold 250Ti's at retail we demo'd them with a Harman Kardon stack that wasn't much power (90w/ch maybe) and it sounded pretty good, until it didn't. At normal demo volumes it was fine, but when someone brought in challenging material the bass fell apart. Don't waste your money on a receiver, especially as they don't hold value like pre/power amps do.

That HK Citation amp was a pretty good sound amp. I haven't spent tons of time with them, but have heard them several times and liked them, though given a choice, I'd probably prefer a Parasound, Adcom, or B&K at similar money. I have a Parasound P7 preamp sitting around that I got on a really good discount - look up the specs, and if it interests you, PM me for details (I don't need it).
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Well, I found a great Parasound preamp and amplifier from a forum member that should fit the bill very well. Thank you

Thread Information