Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Updated JBL 4311

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    14

    Updated JBL 4311

    Got myself a pair of 4311 a couple of years ago. The cabinet did not look good and the stock filters and L-pads needed to be updated.

    The crossovers are now re-capped with Jantzen components. New Monacor L-pads and Supra internat wires. Old speaker connectors is changed to Jantzen that allows banan and spades. Also the cabinet are refurbished and oiled to look descent again.

    The stock baffles are now painted in blue.

    Now I´m looking for a new project. What 15" or 12" vintage speakers is suitable for tubes? 4333? 4344?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    14
    Some more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,863
    The amount of blue on some of the larger monitors is a bit overwhelming - just my personal opinion - but these little guys with blue baffles look just great. Nice work!

  4. #4
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,641
    Looks nice and very clean!

    For your next project, is this anticipated as a 'period' setup and a stock driver JBL system complement?
    Is biamplification an option? (e.g., Tubes on top)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Looks nice and very clean!

    For your next project, is this anticipated as a 'period' setup and a stock driver JBL system complement?
    Is biamplification an option? (e.g., Tubes on top)
    Thanks,

    My plan is to build the cabinet from the scratch and to buy drivers.

    I like the looks of The 4311 but it have its pros and cons. One of Them is the boominess when volume is increasing.

    Today I run 300b set amp and Im not afraid to biamp if that is a must.

    I have looked at 4333 and 4344. Unfortionally I have never heard any of them irl.

  6. #6
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,641
    A four-way system would be my initial/personal suggestion then, perhaps a more modern iteration of the formula.

    Having a mid-bass driver makes a difference. There are multiple build examples with crossover info (and some detailed cabinet designs) in these forums.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    WDC USA
    Posts
    94
    It helps to keep in mind what different speaker system designs were intended for when they were new. The 4311s were designed to sit on a shelf along the meter bridge of a studio mixing console for listening from literally a meter or two away. The 4344 was designed for install into soffits above the control room window in a studio control room to be listened to from four or five meters distant and at much higher levels. Probably best to work from how and where you plan to do your listening and work back from there in your speaker building choices. JBL tried in their studio monitors, to the extent possible, to make the various models have similar tone color so that recordings could be done at different studios and different monitoring levels and still be judged on the same basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljungberg View Post
    Thanks,
    ...

    I have looked at 4333 and 4344. Unfortionally I have never heard any of them irl.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    It helps to keep in mind what different speaker system designs were intended for when they were new. The 4311s were designed to sit on a shelf along the meter bridge of a studio mixing console for listening from literally a meter or two away. The 4344 was designed for install into soffits above the control room window in a studio control room to be listened to from four or five meters distant and at much higher levels. Probably best to work from how and where you plan to do your listening and work back from there in your speaker building choices. JBL tried in their studio monitors, to the extent possible, to make the various models have similar tone color so that recordings could be done at different studios and different monitoring levels and still be judged on the same basis.
    Thanks 👍,

    Yes I know about the 4311, my comes from a studio. The listening room I have today is around 48 square meters. I sit about 3-4 meters from the speakers. I have also looked at more modern speakers like L100 classic and 4349 but I always come back to the vintage gears as I really love the raw looks of the cabinets.

  9. #9
    Senior Member duaneage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The First State
    Posts
    1,588
    I like the 4411 which has a great woofer and a very proper crossover. It voices flat , forward and back and was produced a little longer than other studio monitors. For my money the bass is exceptional. But to each his own.

    The 123a was misaligned in a vented box and sounds better sealed. Jbl wasn't just after uniformity they also voiced their early systems similar to the 604 altec and other monitors of the day. The L100 for example. Later monitors are much better

    I'm working on a compact 3 way using the 2214h in a format similar to the 4411 but the driver parameters are not as good as the 128h. A box of similar size doesn't yield the bass. I recently reconed two 2214h drivers and will attempt to design a system from them.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Updated crossovers
    By Davecdog in forum Electronic Crossovers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •