Thread: Diggin my new L-96

Diggin my new L-96

As the title says, Im loving my recent acquisition. They`re part of a second system doing mainly FM and streaming, driven by a Marantz 2240. The sound is very well balanced top to bottom and not bright at all but with an unmistakable JBL signature. Cabinets and grilles are in excellent condition, the LE10H-1 surrounds appear to be correct too.
    No critical listening done here but it`s quite enjoyable for background music, it`s getting more use than the main system is!
    It`s the first pair of JBL`s that I can run the L-pads at the 0db reference level. On every other model I had previously, 4311, L-36,L-112, 4430, I had to dial the mid and high drive levels way down. These are run completely flat on the amp end with the exception of the ADC Paragrahic taming only the Bluetooth receiver a little.
    Hows that for a bookshelf system?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I can't think of a situation where my L96 haven't fit in beautifully and sounded perfect.

Since you're now had (I think) L112 and L80T, how do you compare them?

Good to hear from you and Happy New Year.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey Phil, its been a while.
    I forgot about the L-80s. They were very nice from what I recall but I didn't keep them very long. As for the L-112, they remain my favorite JBL. I should have hung on to them but I had an opportunity to get the 4430s, you know how that goes..
    I find the L-96 to be very close to the L-112 all around, only with a little less bass output mind you making them my second favorite. On the subject of bass output, as good as the L-112 was in that department, I felt that they could have used a little more internal volume. I`m sure that would have made the speaker that much better.
    The 10" in the L-96 cabinet seems like good fit. I think I`ll hang on to them a while

They look great! Lucky to find a pair in such good condition.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I`m always on the hunt for all things JBL. In my neck of the woods, the choice is very limited and asking prices ridiculous. It`s not uncommon to see L-100s sell for $1500 and more..

When these came up, I jumped on them and Im glad that I did. I`ve never seen a pair for sale before, at any price.
    As mentioned earlier, they are in very nice shape, drivers, grilles and enclosures. My only minor gripe would be that they were varnished at some point in there lives.
    I`m really not a fan of shiny speakers but it doesnt bother me too much with them placed as they currently are. I always have the option of removing the varnish if need be to bring them back to their original look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I find the L-96 to be very close to the L-112 all around, only with a little less bass output mind you making them my second favorite. On the subject of bass output, as good as the L-112 was in that department, I felt that they could have used a little more internal volume. I`m sure that would have made the speaker that much better.
    The 10" in the L-96 cabinet seems like good fit. I think I`ll hang on to them a while
    I don't have them in the same room but as I recall the cabinets of the L96 and L112 are within a scant inch-or-so of each other in dimension. I"me sure the 128 could use more room but how big can you make a "bookshelf" speaker?

I have two pair of L80T, both converted to T3 crossovers and extended port tube and more internal insulation but I can't really get excited about either. One is on permanent loan to a friend who loves them but doesn't really have much to compare them to. The others just sit.

I've often called the L96s my "desert island" speaker. If I had to choose one JBL from what I have to take anywhere and to work in nearly any environment or room, that would likely be my first choice. Or the L5.

Your old Crown "receiver" is still plugging away. Had a little imbalance issue in the SL2 output but AETechron says they'll be happy to take a look at it for me. Likely just lack of use, sadly. I have a PSL2 in my TV room with a JBL/Urei 6260 amp and a pair of L5s that gets more use.

Stay well!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Do/did your L-96s get much use? Any driver failures in all that time?
    I wish I had proper stands for mine, I`d love to try them in the main rig supplemented by the B380, now that would be interesting.
    I`m glad my Crown stack went to a good home , that's a really nice rig well worth maintaining.

Thread Information