Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L110A 033 Replacement Queries

L110A 033 Replacement Queries

Hi, one of the 033 tweeters in my L110A has broken. I have a pair of Audax TW034X0 that have similar dimensions and R-values. I haven't installed them yet, and I'm wondering why people try to source and replace their 033s with 034s or 035/052 instead of relacing them with aftermarket similar value tweeters? Is it because they are not JBL or vintage? Or do the 035/052s just mate very well with the rest of the loudspeaker components?

I think that it's because we have tech sheets from JBL that suggest later replacements from JBL. Not so for the L110 though. These older systems tend to have L-pads that allow the user to adjust levels to compensate for sensitivity changes. So we should probably feel more freedom to experiment and share the results of our changes than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I think that it's because we have tech sheets from JBL that suggest later replacements from JBL. Not so for the L110 though. These older systems tend to have L-pads that allow the user to adjust levels to compensate for sensitivity changes. So we should probably feel more freedom to experiment and share the results of our changes than we do.
    That's good to know. Is there any specific tweeter (aside from the 033s) that is known to pair well with the L110A's?

Could your problem be maybe just a broken lead on the 033?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Could your problem be maybe just a broken lead on the 033?
    Here's the problem:
    Name:  IMG_1429.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  204.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  196.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by scroogemcdov View Post
    Here's the problem:
    since it's already broken , hurts nothing to try a solder fix.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    since it's already broken , hurts nothing to try a solder fix.
    I removed the metal ring from the tweeter dome assembly and tried to reconnect both ends of the wires but they are now too short (since they have been severed and are now too short to reach into the dome to secure a connection. So I removed the wires on both sides and reattached some new longer wires. I just couldn't get a connection though. Not sure why. I didn't use the same flat wire that was originally there; I tried some random copper wire strands from a 12awg cable. Could that be the problem?

033 is an OEM Audax code is something like A025 , 1" soft dome. From memory the JBL faceplate is different from the Audax but they are interchangeable. Mounting screw centers are the same.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...weeter-by-aac/

I removed the metal ring from the tweeter dome assembly and tried to reconnect both ends of the wires but they are now too short (since they have been severed and are now too short to reach into the dome to secure a connection. So I removed the wires on both sides and reattached some new longer wires. I just couldn't get a connection though. Not sure why. I didn't use the same flat wire that was originally there; I tried some random copper wire strands from a 12awg cable. Could that be the problem?
    The wires will have a varnish coating that will have to be removed to solder. Heat the end with a lighter and then gently scrape it with an Xacto blade. I think I've read where MEK or some other strong solvent has been used, you have to be very carful with the burn and scrape method.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    The wires will have a varnish coating that will have to be removed to solder. Heat the end with a lighter and then gently scrape it with an Xacto blade. I think I've read where MEK or some other strong solvent has been used, you have to be very carful with the burn and scrape method.
    When you say varnish coating, are you referring to a coating that is on the wires that lead from the connector terminals to the dome, or a varnish applied on top of where the wires are soldered to?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    033 is an OEM Audax code is something like A025 , 1" soft dome. From memory the JBL faceplate is different from the Audax but they are interchangeable. Mounting screw centers are the same.

Yes, the one I have (Audax TW034X0) has a dome diameter of ~1.25". I will have to inquire about whether the faceplace really is interchangable; that would be great since I wouldn't have to drill another hole into both cabs.

Yes, the one I have (Audax TW034X0) has a dome diameter of ~1.25". I will have to inquire about whether the faceplace really is interchangable; that would be great since I wouldn't have to drill another hole into both cabs.

I should have qualified the post with ' Pretty sure that ' Anyway if you go to that site I linked to the faceplate dims and hole center spacing is clearly identified.
    The JBL variaton had button head screws if memory serves but the dome and motor etc , ie the working parts are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I should have qualified the post with ' Pretty sure that ' Anyway if you go to that site I linked to the faceplate dims and hole center spacing is clearly identified.
    The JBL variaton had button head screws if memory serves but the dome and motor etc , ie the working parts are the same.
    Yes the original faceplate does use button head screws. I have linked the tweeter I have (TW034X0); I have not tried to fit it yet (I will have to remove it from another cab), but looking at the dimensions on the linked site, could you verify whether it would fit?

I wonder if the tweeter could be made functional by unwinding half a turn from each end of the voice coil and soldering the ends to the posts again. If its scrap now, experimenting with it can't make it worth less.

From the website TW034 faceplate is 132mm TW025 is 100mm

TW034 dome is approx 34mm TW025 is 25mm ( an inch )

You should be able to figure out what you need just by measuring the faceplate and the approx diameter of the dome , one being an inch and the other being 1 1/4"

I went and had a look at pics of L110 , the JBL 033 faceplate is quite large , getting on for 5" ie the size of the mid driver , but the dome is small , deff not 34mm. What you need to do is get a couple of the TW025 Audax drivers and remove the dome / magnet assembly and fit your old JBL faceplates. Job done.

Thread Information