Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a better driver than the 2416 for the 2342 horn?

This 'thread' started on the Pro Sound Web forum a few weeks ago and migrated here. I think I was referencing a horn he posted about in that thread as being a 2350 knock off. In a hard walled listing space like a garage a 60 x 40 horn might not be a bad choice and the EV horn used in the Deltamax is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Riley;

If I looked up the right Peavy horn, it doesn't look much like a 2350 to me.

Barry.

Hey guys, a bud of mine sent me this pic today, please see attached image of his McCauley AC10 speaker, can anyone tell me if that is the same exact type horn as the 2342 please?

https://i.postimg.cc/RFtBdRM9/AC10.jpg

Name:  jbl-2342-bi-radial-horn.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  41.2 KB

roughly similar, but no (from what I can see).

Yes, that appears to be a 2342 horn. Reference this thread for more info.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...4-2342-vs-2344

At the risk of being a broken record broadly speaking the horn determines the dispersion of the sound, the driver attached to the horn determines the kind of sound you're going to get from the horn. In my experience the 2342 does not sound as good as the 2344 with the "same" driver despite the similar pattern characteristics. This might be the changes in the drivers due to the screw on throat. Might not. Hard to tell since you can't really bolt on a non-thread on driver to a 2342.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Hey guys, a bud of mine sent me this pic today, please see attached image of his McCauley AC10 speaker, can anyone tell me if that is the same exact type horn as the 2342 please?

https://i.postimg.cc/RFtBdRM9/AC10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    roughly similar, but no (from what I can see).
    Agree. The McCauley horn looks open much deeper or with out diffraction form all together ie having a smaller dispersion pattern. A better pic would help.

Like Riley said, a smaller pattern in a hard small space might be the ticket.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

One could... 2425HS or 2426 w/o the spin-on flange, but this sounds like a dead end now.

Thanks for confirming guys. Forgot to mention that I had a pair of these Peavey horns back in the 90s with Atlas PD30 Drivers and those drivers came very close to giving highs like a super tweeter even though some consider them to be drivers for "paging" systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Riley;

I haven’t heard the horn newbie has but if he is looking for a big “DJ system” presentation like he said, he is in big horn large format driver territory I think. Also 90X40’s are generally my indoor favorites. His doesn't have a large format driver but my definition of loud is different that most here so for him that may be OK.

I certainly agree that there are a lot of big old horns that just don’t sound good, especially by todays standards and 2350’s fit that category in my book.

If I looked up the right Peavy horn, it doesn't look much like a 2350 to me.

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Barry.
    Minor update guys, just by running both the original Peavey 22A drive and the JBL D220Ti through an eq the JBL far outclasses the Peavey. Will report back if we are able to run them through the Crossovers this Sunday.

Meantime, JBL Tech had said he thinks the best driver for horn for highs is the D2415K D2, I could not find the specs for this driver only this here:

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...tors/4349.html

has anyone heard that speaker or driver?

Minor update guys, just by running both the original Peavey 22A drive and the JBL D220Ti through an eq the JBL far outclasses the Peavey. Will report back if we are able to run them through the Crossovers this Sunday.

Meantime, JBL Tech had said he thinks the best driver for horn for highs is the D2415K D2, I could not find the specs for this driver only this here:

It's one of the newest gen drivers, $330ea from Speaker Exchange. I have no experience with it.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...ncy-driver-d2/
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Selenium D220Ti is a $50 driver from Brazil and is a screw on driver.
    JBL D2415K is being sold new for over $300 (even used on eBay), is .8" exit, and bolt-on (would require an odd adapter and could kill some of the potential benefit).

Not sure the JBL Tech info was particularly helpful toward your application/goal.
    I would expect a change in horn (if even available) would be required to get the most from that driver.

If the D220Ti works well for you, it might be a good place to stop and enjoy

That is the driver used in the current mid sized VTX20 line array box . If you've been to a show using those boxes you've heard lots of those drivers. In those boxes the drivers ( it uses three manifolded onto a single horn ) are the high end on top of a four 5" mid drivers and has a fairly high crossover point. Pricey little guy afaik but the VTX do sound good so might be a good choice.

Selenium D220Ti is a $50 driver from Brazil and is a screw on driver.
    If the D220Ti works well for you, it might be a good place to stop and enjoy
    Yeah, I have already tried adding a super tweeter I had lying around here for years which was not in use. When done with the experimenting I w'ill know the deal.

That Driver Spec's I am not understanding. Well first Jbl Tech had said that the D220Ti's specs shows no roll off at 20khz [which surprised me] because that was based on their testing at -6db. Now this 2415 driver shows a range up to 25khz, waiting to see the specs of it to know more, I'm just curios why if the human ear will only be able to hear around 12-15khz or so then why make a driver which goes up to 25khz?

Because it looks good on the spec sheet and helps sales to people who listen with their eyes and wallets rather than their hears

..., I'm just curios why if the human ear will only be able to hear around 12-15khz or so then why make a driver which goes up to 25khz?

D220Ti test condition? on a 45º exponential horn, on-axis (HL14-25 plastic trumpet).

Unless that is your application, that test is useless without interpretation.
    Look at the spec pdf (available at JBLpro.com). The plane-wave tube test response is closer to what you might expect on a constant-directivity horn.
    Also look at the directivity plots... by 8KHz, that driver/horn is entering laser beam territory.. lol.

Use the D220Ti, have realistic expectations of your horn, and if you can pull down the mids (vs boosting the highs), it might work quite well.

Use the D220Ti, have realistic expectations of your horn, and if you can pull down the mids (vs boosting the highs), it might work quite well.
    Good advice, noted, thanks.

Yes, that 2415 driver sparks my curiosity wondering how 2 diaphragms will sound and also since the cheap $50 D220Ti does give good highs, I have to wonder how much better the 2415 might be? Would I buy one to try it out? Only if I would have the funds and option to send it back.

Thread Information