Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a better driver than the 2416 for the 2342 horn?

Is there a better driver than the 2416 for the 2342 horn?

Guys, I cannot find specs for the JBL 2416 anywhere online or on JBL's site, I am ready to purchase either the 2402 or the 2342 and I am more leaning towards the 2342 as it seems to me to be a similar but bigger version of the 2404.

I am seeing the 2342 flare for sale with a 2416 driver so just checking here first if that driver would be the best option for using that 2342 horn as a standalone horn please? Thx.

The 2416 uses the same phase plug as the 2425. You could "upgrade" to 2425S or use 2426's with the horn adaptor plate removed. Just look at the response for a 4425 as an example of what the combo can do.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    The 2416 uses the same phase plug as the 2425. You could "upgrade" to 2425S or use 2426's with the horn adaptor plate removed. Just look at the response for a 4425 as an example of what the combo can do.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, one last question please. If it were YOU, which would you prefer to get between the 2404 or the 2342?

??? What are you plans for use?? The 2404 is a tweeter the 2416 does midrange as well and can be attached to a variety of horns.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    ??? What are you plans for use?? The 2404 is a tweeter the 2416 does midrange as well and can be attached to a variety of horns.

Rob
    I wanted to get better highs in a 3 or 4way mono system so will connect either a super tweeter or horn for highs only to an amp. My thought is that the 2342 is simply a larger version of the 2404 so that would be my only reason for getting that instead of the 2404.

They have different motors with different expected applications. The horn geometry creates the coverage pattern but the drivers define what frequency band they will work best in. Some one inch compression drivers can work at super tweeter frequencies if you want to restrict their high pass frequency but then you have to work on what sort of driver will meet you needs in the band below that. Decide what you want to do with the device and work back from there.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Thanks Rob, one last question please. If it were YOU, which would you prefer to get between the 2404 or the 2342?

I wanted to get better highs in a 3 or 4way mono system so will connect either a super tweeter or horn for highs only to an amp. My thought is that the 2342 is simply a larger version of the 2404 so that would be my only reason for getting that instead of the 2404.
    Use a 2404 good out to 20K the 2416 on a 2342 out to 16K.

Rob

Thanks guys but I think I will first need to learn about frequency response since I don't have all that knowledge so I can try learning that on another forum then come back here if any questions so I won't frustrate you guys.

@Riley
    Well Riley you can see I took your advice on the other forum and did exactly as you had advised by posting here for this purpose [thanks!]

Hi;

There are many patient knowledgable people here that are glad to help. You need not pass an exam to be here.

On a stretch the 4342 horn can play low enough in frequency to work with a good 15” woofer. Probably better with a 12” woofer.

Also on a stretch a 2404 can barely reach down to an 8” midrange speaker.

Some advice I got long ago is to look at the systems of interest that JBL built and work along those lines since that is where you will eventually end up anyway. That proved to be generally true.

JBL made plenty of four way systems in the studio monitor line. Take a look at the components used there and see of any of these line up with what you are thinking about.

If you described what you were working on elsewhere and I missed it, sorry.

If not, what are you dreaming of?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Sorry Mike, I can't help you on the SOS forum, I'm not signed up there. Your questions seemed pretty well answered on the PSW forum and it's pretty clear that you need to drop back a few yards and bone up on the basics. The short version is it's time to hit the Google for some edjamacation on hearing and audio technology. What you're asking on SOS is a bit beyond web forum answers. Shorter version is that it's the rare adult male in the western world that can hear anything higher than 15Khz. If you've spent any significant time listening to loud music, firearms, race cars or heavy machinery that number may be closer to 10Khz. You can actually do your own low budget tests on all of this by simply downloading a phone app that includes a sine wave generator ( Audio Tools from Studio Six Digital is very good ) and simply hook it up to your stereo and sweep some tones around at low levels to start to get a feel for what your ears can do with what your speakers can do at what frequencies. Just be slow and deliberate about this sort of thing. I'm not responsible for any damaged speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Thanks guys but I think I will first need to learn about frequency response since I don't have all that knowledge so I can try learning that on another forum then come back here if any questions so I won't frustrate you guys.

@Riley
    Well Riley you can see I took your advice on the other forum and did exactly as you had advised by posting here for this purpose [thanks!]

Ok noted. I gather from what you are saying is that I still need to dig deeper than the info I have gotten so far on SOS which I will do. Here's where I'm at so far guys. Below is what I have recently posted on SOS. Reason why I did this experiment was to try to help me decide if I should get the 2404 or the 2342? Or if the 2404 would be better than what I already have in the ST304?

I just did an experiment with a super tweeter:

https://jblpro.com/en/products/st304

and one of my Peavey MF1-X horns with a D220Ti driver with specs:

https://www.zxpc.us/product-p/252027433908.htm

I called my 21 year old son, I told him I want him to tell me which of the large Peavey horn is giving the most and best highs when I switch between the two. After playing a few tunes he said without a doubt the "left" is more powerful and sounds much better.

Thing is, he did not know it was the tweeter playing on the left channel which I placed right next to the peavey horn and he did not notice it.

So I have to ask myself now guys is why is that one little 5" tweeter out-performing that large 3' W x 14" H horn by that much, any ideas please?

Sounds like he's shooting for a 4825 or 4828 type system.

What 1audiohack was saying about the 2404 is that it will only play so low - I don't think it's recommended to go much below 5000 hz or so, you'll trash the unobtainable diaphragm going any lower. But a 12" or 15" woofer won't play up to 5000 hz, they are not a good match for a 2 way system combined with a 2404. You'll end up with a huge hole from where the woofer peters out and the tweeter kicks in.

Which opens the next can of worms, the crossover. Which ever high frequency driver you choose, it'll need an appropriate crossover to both keep the woofer from trying to run full range (although it will probably drop off on it's own before it gets even close to 5000 hz) and to keep the tweeter from trying to play too low.

Lowest recommended is 3K look up the 4612 system. Dual 2118 and a 2404.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, I have a 4612OK system - they used a 2402 diaphragm in a 2404 to push it down to meet the 8" woofers. Called it a 2404H-1

But I don't think 2402 diaphragms are available, either. If he has a straight 2404, it's gonna hate life.

I think it finally hit me last night guys, going through all of the info I have received on horns so far. I had a pair of Peavey SP2's years ago and had gotten rid of them because while I loved how the vocals sounded coming from the horns, it just did not give enough highs. So I got rid of them and upgraded to a pair of EV Eliminator I series which had better quality but it's square shaped horn does not give the type of highs either.

I think what I have been searching for is a horn from which I can get some vocals but also which has the highs of a super tweeter, that is what I have been searching for all this time and is why I am pinpointing the 2342 in particular. I am hoping since it seems to be a bigger version of the 2404 I might get the highs of the 2404 from that horn.

So my question to sum up this topic and issue is, is there a horn and/or driver available which fits this description please? Or if that is not available then my only option would be to get a separate super tweeter to add to a horn? or if I can get a driver which can give the highs of a super tweeter which can work with my Peavey MFI-X horns? This was my main reason why I started looking into understanding Specs, I was thinking that maybe a horn Driver's specs might tell me if it will give highs like a super tweeter.

I don't think I am alone with this as here in my neck of the woods in NY many DJ's build custom cabs with both larger horns and bullet tweeters.

Thread Information