Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there a better driver than the 2416 for the 2342 horn?

Well guys, last night we were able to do the experimenting and finally some clarity. Running that Peavey 22A original driver for the MF1-X horns did the trick, results were far better than with the Selenium D220ti driver. We got all the frequencies of the super tweeter, we were amazed that the 40 year old 22A driver would give that performance so this issue is now very firmly settled.

Here's the thing however, we had run the system back to back through both the Rane Ac23 and the BSS Processor, it was through the Rane that we were able to get that performance out of the 22A while the BSS far outclassed the Rane on the bass. The next and final experiment hopefully on this coming Sunday will be to see if we can get the BSS to get the same performance from the 22A driver.

Progress!

Yeah, I think I jumped the gun on getting rid of my Ashly crossover though. I bought into the "rep" which Rane has but was disappointed that it did not give as good a bass as the Ashly. Now too only this morning looking at the specs of that Ashly XR1001 I am seeing around the same specs as the Rane. This is suggesting to me that the Ashly might have given me the better analog bass and also the same highs as the Rane.

This coming w/e however we will make a better attempt to see if the bass from the Rane can come close to the BSS as the Ashly did.

If there was a perceptible difference in the bass response between a Rane and Ashly analog crossover one of them is broken. The circuitry just isn't that different. Did you test the suspect crossover output with an oscillator and a meter?

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    ... I bought into the "rep" which Rane has but was disappointed that it did not give as good a bass as the Ashly. ...

No, we are doing this all by ear with trial and error. That's exactly what I am seeing concerning the circuitry.

Thread Information