View Poll Results: How many pair of speakers do you own?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-3

6 21.43%
  • 4-7

9 32.14%
  • 8-11

9 32.14%
  • 12-15

1 3.57%
  • 16+

3 10.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many pairs of speakers do you own?

What's a 7.4.4??

Yeah, I know what it is . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I know what a pair is: two identical, similar, or corresponding things that are matched for use together.

In this context, how do we count our multiple speaker systems? Consider the HT system that’s 7.4.4. It’s definitely more than a pair; in fact, it contains several pairs: two pairs of subs, two pairs of surrounds (side and rear), two pairs of heights, and either a trio of fronts or a pair of fronts with a solo center. Even my quartet of Timbers Arrays has two distinct pairs with specific fronts and rears. The K2 S9900s are paired with a pair of subs!
    I feel the pain of your first-world problem!

Maybe to avoid further embarrassment some of us should just admit to "more than . . . " and leave it at that!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I know what a pair is: two identical, similar, or corresponding things that are matched for use together.

In this context, how do we count our multiple speaker systems? Consider the HT system that’s 7.4.4. It’s definitely more than a pair; in fact, it contains several pairs: two pairs of subs, two pairs of surrounds (side and rear), two pairs of heights, and either a trio of fronts or a pair of fronts with a solo center. Even my quartet of Timbers Arrays has two distinct pairs with specific fronts and rears. The K2 S9900s are paired with a pair of subs!

Even the fact that I’m asking these questions is indicative of a problem.

So, I’ll go with “systems,” whether 2, 4, 5, 8, or 15 speakers. That’s about 11 systems I think.

Maybe 13... or 15...
    Oh, I see, how big your problem is is just a matter of semantics. Maybe that picture Grumpy posted wasn’t a bunch of speakers, it was just one “System”? Other enabling phrases that come to mind:
    “I can quit any time”
    “They were such a good deal, you could say it’s not even real money”
    ”These are a heritage. I don’t own them, I’m just the caretaker until the next person gets to enjoy them”
    ”I can’t sell them because of COVID - as soon as it’s safe to have people in the house listening, I’ll sell them, I promise”. (My wife has heard this one several times in the last months)

Just remember, we love you and support you, even if you fall on hard times and end up with just one pair of beater JBL adjacent speakers (Urei or Altec, Infinity don’t count), we’ll still let you on the forum
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Attachment 87946

not mine 😅

A vision of beauty!

I'd think that was hilarious, if not that my current system marginally is approaching that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Better? No, just different compromises.

Widget
    A great compromise though! Building, setting up, and being happy with the results of a system of your own design - much more satisfying than handing over plastic and unloading it from a truck.

I finally had a chance to go through your build of those beautiful speakers. I must admit I hesitated for fear it may send me on a chase for something different and better (as I’m prone to do). After reading all about the DD67000 on this site and others (leaning towards buying a set), to read you had moved on to something else was both disconcerting and relieving at the same time haha. I had reasoned why not go for the ultimate in an attempt to simplify my life moving into a new home (my current system is exceptionally complex and intimidating especially when thinking about moving it). That was the rationale I used to sell the wife on DD67000’s rather than moving my current beast.

I am very much impressed with your abilities/machinery to fabricate the intricate shapes your speakers required (not to mention your knowledge of speaker design and component selection). And I did not find it droning on, rather I found myself wishing for more detail on your fabrication techniques for such complex pieces. I have a degree of pride with my fabrication equipment, but having access to a wood cutting CNC is very special indeed.

I don’t have a clean sheet for the system in my new home, but it’s close. I am sort of limited to the audio equipment I have (yes and no), but I do have available a dedicated 36” x 21’ (roughly) entire second story for my office/system. I didn’t design the shape of the room (a pre-designed home plan), but I did design the room construction to be “floating” and acoustically isolated from the rest of the house –WAF very high. I also installed an exceptional power supply & internet infrastructure so far...

Perhaps I should have started a thread to solicit some ideas from the experts …

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8180 View Post
    A great compromise though!
    Thank you for the compliments.

...and agreed on the image of beauty!

Widget

Do raw frame drivers count? I'm a complete sucker for a pair of just about anything, but I currently own 15 pairs of speakers in cabinets, and about 40 pairs of woofers, drivers, horns, lenses, and other such devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    Do raw frame drivers count? I'm a complete sucker for a pair of just about anything, but I currently own 15 pairs of speakers in cabinets, and about 40 pairs of woofers, drivers, horns, lenses, and other such devices.
    Oh yeah, you are a member of the club!

Widget

Thread Information