View Poll Results: How many pair of speakers do you own?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-3

6 21.43%
  • 4-7

9 32.14%
  • 8-11

9 32.14%
  • 12-15

1 3.57%
  • 16+

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pairs of speakers do you own?

How many pairs of speakers do you own?

Every time my wife looks in my basement, or my storage room, she mutters things a lady shouldn’t say, usually followed by “You have a problem”. At one point, I was starting to believe her, but then I attended TiDome’s Lansing Heritage award night, and met people, like Grumpy, who made me feel sane by comparison. So, in the spirit of a therapy group, I think I need help to feel OK again
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Smile

I don't have a wife, I'm as sane as I want to be!

One Pair plus misc. parts...

Two years ago when I moved, I gave away a pair pair of very nice L100s with beautiful orange Quadrex grilles, gave away a pair of ADS L900s with stands, gave away a pair of very nice DIY Apollos from a kit someone built in the '60s, and sold my 1400 Arrays and DD66000/67000s. That was after thinning the herd a decade or so earlier when I moved from SF.

I think I must be on the road to sanity.

Haha... glad to be useful.

Sooo... not touching that poll with a ten foot ... oh, never mind.

Better not to say, sort of "classified data". If she really knew she'd drag me to Psychiatrist's office! No say means no problema...

Way too many!!!!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Under the pretext of this being therapeutic, I'll take a moment and count in my head. Might miss a few . . .

I think I'm at 22 JBLs, 1 Sansui, 1 Andrew Jones Pioneers, 2 DCM Timeframes, 1 Infinity. There are others I own but are on loan to friends and family. It sounds better to just say "less than thirty".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

These days? 10-12 pairs ... The 2 pairs of UREI 809As do count as JBLs, right -
    Plus parts for a 3rd pair and a few spare JBL drivers here and there.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Glad to see I am not alone in my obsession!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I am on the low end of speakers collection as I have no space but don't mind a couple big to replace a few small ones

Proud to say I'm in the respectable purple band

My wife kinda saw my collection before we married and still married me, soooooo ... who's more insane?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    sold my 1400 Arrays and DD66000/67000s. That was after thinning the herd a decade or so earlier when I moved from SF.

I think I must be on the road to sanity.
    Well, on the surface selling DD66000/670000s (I assume DD66000s with upgraded woofers?) might suggest you are holding your road map upside down (only joking as I assume for you that road led to somewhere better).

Recently I retired and am moving into a new larger home. For a time I considered selling everything I had (speakers, amps, crossovers, DSP's, etc.) in exchange for a new pair of DD67000s and matching quality amps. Had the wife convinced too, but I could not find a way to listen to a pair of these, that is in the age of Covid. Just couldn't imagine spending big $$$ without a listen... ahem... a moment of sanity or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8180 View Post
    Well, on the surface selling DD66000/670000s (I assume DD66000s with upgraded woofers?) might suggest you are holding your road map upside down (only joking as I assume for you that road led to somewhere better).
    Better? No, just different compromises.

My decision to sell the Everests was entirely to maintain domestic harmony, but I was fortunate that my life’s social and artistic director was OK with another ridiculous system I had... my Project Widgets. Click on the link if you want more info on them, but it does drone on.

Regarding the DD67000s, while like every other speaker made to date, they may not be perfect, they are able to bring more musical excitement into your room than almost anything else I’ve heard. Think vintage Altec without the frequency response anomalies, much better imaging, and better deep bass extension.

That said, buying a pair of Everests is a substantial commitment financially, in terms of listening room real estate, and unless you get them through a dealer who offers white glove delivery and set up, they are a serious pain to unload and set up... then there is room interaction. They are not an easy speaker to get to play nicely in many rooms.

FWIW: I have no regrets on the move. The Project Widgets give up a little of that excitement (very little) but have much better deep bass extension and better imaging.

Widget

Name:  EF910AE9-236B-4EF1-8A37-78BCFC872C8C.jpeg
Views: 766
Size:  71.4 KB

not mine 😅

Pairs? What’s that?

I know what a pair is: two identical, similar, or corresponding things that are matched for use together.

In this context, how do we count our multiple speaker systems? Consider the HT system that’s 7.4.4. It’s definitely more than a pair; in fact, it contains several pairs: two pairs of subs, two pairs of surrounds (side and rear), two pairs of heights, and either a trio of fronts or a pair of fronts with a solo center. Even my quartet of Timbers Arrays has two distinct pairs with specific fronts and rears. The K2 S9900s are paired with a pair of subs!

Even the fact that I’m asking these questions is indicative of a problem.

So, I’ll go with “systems,” whether 2, 4, 5, 8, or 15 speakers. That’s about 11 systems I think.

Maybe 13... or 15...
    Out.

Thread Information