Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Custom Cabinets for LE14H-3, 2452H-SL and PT-F95HF

Duffinator

One thing I would mention is that to address your complaints//observations about your current system you would be well advised ( IMHO ) to lower your crossover point to around 700 or 800 hz.

That will of course mean a different horn.

I personally don't think all the effort of designing and making new cabinets will be worthwhile without that change of horn ( and lower crossover point ).

That will help with imaging and soundstage ( with the right horn ) and relieve some of the response area that makes this le14h family sound tubby and slow when pushed too high in its response.

There aren't many choices ( actually ) that I could recommend but one ( for the low low money invested ) would be to try out a pair of the Eminence H14EA ( currently on sale at Eminence ) .
    - This horn is a BiRadial by all accounts ( as much as any of JBL's are ) .

Your driver is of course a 1.5" exit ( not 1.4" ) so you might want to instead consider the Eminence H2EA Horn with a suitable 1.5"-2" throat adapter.

Just another perspective ( and I suppose that since your current setup is over a decade old, it must be quite acceptable as is ).

. I can’t stress enough that you should avoid the temptation to use MDF for your bracing.
    Yes I agree. Adds lots of weight and the fir and pine a lighter and much stronger. I always brace with real wood.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks everyone. Per your suggestions we're using baltic birch plywood for the bracing, he didn't change the material in the software.

@Earl, that's an interesting idea. When you state throat adapter where would I buy one and do you know which specific adapter is needed for my 2452H-SL CD's? I'm pretty sure the Xover is at 1,000 hz but I'd have to check my notes from when we did the original build if I can find them.

Two opinions based on Earl's suggestion.

1. I agree with Earl that a lower crossover point will likely improve the mids.

2. Based on numerous DIY projects I am an advocate of crossing over above the lowest recommended crossover frequency by a full octave if possible, though it is rarely an easily achieved goal. For example, I have crossed 800Hz 2397 horns at 1200Hz, 500Hz Altec 511Bs at 800Hz, and 600 Hz TD-4003s at 750Hz.

On the bracing point, I think going with 3/4" birch plywood will be worth the expense and extra effort.

On the existing crossover frequency, I am pretty sure you'll find it is 1000Hz, as Zilch was basing his initial designs off the 4430.

Widget

I'm pretty sure the xover is 1,000 hz. Zilch loved his 4430's. I would have liked to buy his pair after his passing but found out about the sale a few days after the fact. Probably better that I didn't get the chance to buy them.

Changed the renderings of the bracing to plywood.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Any recommendation of the type and amount of damping material for inside the cabinets? I used fiberglass in my previous cabinets but won't use that again for safety reasons.

Try the blue denim house insulation. It works very well and doesn't shed bits of glass.
    You can also use acoustic foam, but it is more expensive, probably will eventually degrade and is less eco friendly.

I would not use polyester or Dacron batting.

Widget

Thanks, how much? Just enough to cover the walls on the inside? I've read some on voicing the speakers with addiltional material and may give that a shot but looking for a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post
    Thanks, how much? Just enough to cover the walls on the inside? I've read some on voicing the speakers with addiltional material and may give that a shot but looking for a good starting point.
    You'll have to experiment. The stuff is thicker and more dense than the 1” fiberglass JBL used.

Widget

It's a shame that Wrap-On stuff appears to be discontinued, very easy to work with and I stuffed 2 cabs wearing a short sleeve shirt and nary an itch. Luckily a 50ft box will likely outlive my speaker building adventures

Thanks

Speakers are all finished and thanks for everyone's input. You can find more photos of the speakers at the link below. The speakers weigh 132.6 lbs each.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-build.947058/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice work.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Look great!

I checked out the pictures over at AK, but I didn’t read the thread... so, how do they sound? Would Zilch be proud?

Widget

Thread Information