Thread: JBL Synthesis Everest DD 67000

JBL Synthesis Everest DD 67000

I noticed that the Everest DD 67000 uses a Beryllium midrange and the K2 9900 uses a magnesium midrange. What was the reason for not using the Beryllium midrange in the 9900? Just curious.
    Thanks !!!
    Steve

I would be surprised if it wasn't a combination of hitting a price point, the old Sears "Good/Better/Best" sales psychology extended by having a Statement/Flagship product.
    The K2 sounds phenomenal, as does the Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I would be surprised if it wasn't a combination of hitting a price point, the old Sears "Good/Better/Best" sales psychology extended by having a Statement/Flagship product.
    The K2 sounds phenomenal, as does the Everest.
    Yes that was also my guess but I thought that possibly there was a decision made on the engineering side. I was just wondering.
    Thanks !!
    Steve

I think JBL probably feared that with beryllium mid and uhf the K2 would have cannabilized Everest sales drastically.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I think JBL probably feared that with beryllium mid and uhf the K2 would have cannabilized Everest sales drastically.
    That is interesting. The 67000 does have a higher sensitivity, higher max SPL and it looks more impressive etc. But maybe what you are saying is correct.

I wonder if it is possible to mount the beryllium mid and uhf drivers used in the 67000 to the horn from S4700. Then buy a 1500-AL-1 and make cabinets.
    Just another crazy idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C 2020 View Post
    I wonder if it is possible to mount the beryllium mid and uhf drivers used in the 67000 to the horn from S4700. Then buy a 1500-AL-1 and make cabinets.
    Just another crazy idea.
    Of course you could… The drivers are identical, the only difference is the material used in the diaphragms. You would need to change the crossovers too, but that is also fairly simple.

Unfortunately these days JBL makes it very difficult to purchase raw drivers. It took me several years to get the DD67000 woofers to upgrade my DD66000s. I was/am a JBL Synthesis dealer and used my best connections and was eventually successful, but it was not easy and I doubt I could do it again. Others have also purchased 476Be and other drivers, but never through “normal” channels.

“The Speaker Exchange” does have some drivers, but it is a limited selection.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Of course you could… The drivers are identical, the only difference is the material used in the diaphragms. You would need to change the crossovers too, but that is also fairly simple.

Unfortunately these days JBL makes it very difficult to purchase raw drivers. It took me several years to get the DD67000 woofers to upgrade my DD66000s. I was/am a JBL Synthesis dealer and used my best connections and was eventually successful, but it was not easy and I doubt I could do it again. Others have also purchased 476Be and other drivers, but never through “normal” channels.

“The Speaker Exchange” does have some drivers, but it is a limited selection.

Widget
    That makes sense

Thread Information