Thread: Advice needed with design experience for a 2 way Passive Crossover.

Advice needed with design experience for a 2 way Passive Crossover.

I have 4 cu ft JBL spec vented cabinets loaded w/ 2235H woofers & horns with 2426H drivers.
    I currently use a dual Crown amp with DBX electronic x-over setup which I am very happy with.
    I would like to set up the second set I have with passive crossovers for another room, single crown amp.
    As a test more than serious critical listening.
    I have read about and calculated a 2nd order Butterworth, which is very simple. I don’t have the background to know the nuances between Linkwitz – Riley, or Bessel or all the option seen on the calculator from the DIY Audio & Video.
    I lack the time needed to do the appropriate reading for a full understanding. So I could use some help! I would like to have l pads in the design.
    I have the schematic for 4430. But that is WAYYYYYY out of my wheelhouse.
    ANY help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Frank

What horn do you have?? You could do an L200B. If you can read a schematic and do this you could do a 4430.

https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...L200B%20ts.pdf

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

It would be good to post the type of horn that your 2426 is mounted on as that will make a significant difference in the direction any suggestions would go. Implementing a 4th order LR filter with passive components is pretty problematic in itself. The L200 crossover linked before is a third order high pass with some eq incorporated and that has a parts count already equal to a 4430 crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by F_430 View Post
    I have 4 cu ft JBL spec vented cabinets loaded w/ 2235H woofers & horns with 2426H drivers...

ANY help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Frank

I use a crossover breakout box which gives me the ability to swap out values immediately and incorporate custom values as well. I have two so I can do 3rd or 4th order networks.
    Horns are tough and even tougher when a driver is mated to a horn it wasn't designed for. I've had best results using recommended combinations and even then it has to be worked with a contour network.

If you go electronic you still need to protect the horn with a capacitor. I would use two equalizers after the crossover to tailor the response. If you go electronic instead of passive take advantage of the split to perfect the response.

In a passive system the woofers and the tweeter have an effect on each other for phase, impedance, and general interactions. That doesn't happen with electronic xovers so you may need processing to get it perfect.

I've not played with a dbx driverack but it's possible it or a similar processor may be the tweak your looking for.

I'm near Philly so if you are not too far give me a PM and maybe we can get together.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Thread Information