Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Datasheets for JBL D120 &D120F

Datasheets for JBL D120 &D120F

I searched the archives as best I could and could not find the datasheets for the two versions D120 & D120F.

I would appreciate it someone can point me to it as there is a lot of misinformation about the difference in ratings of these.

Where are you getting the driver numbers from?? If you look at what we have there is a D131F that is a 12" that would fit in as almost the same driver as a D120F

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...comp/d130f.htm

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Rob I am asking for datasheets for the D120F (cloth surrounds) and the D120 (paper surrounds)
    See Name:  d120F.jpeg
Views: 1005
Size:  69.7 KB

The paper surround version seemingly had lower power handling and reported to have a narrower coil gap.
    There is a lot of disinfo swirling around, so I want to get the straight facts, by looking at the datasheet fot the paper surround and cloth surround versions and comparing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Where are you getting the driver numbers from?? If you look at what we have there is a D131F that is a 12" that would fit in as almost the same driver as a D120F

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...comp/d130f.htm

Rob

Retnev,

The cut sheets you seek just don't exist ( well, at least not here at LHF ).

Never-the-less, if you continue researching the topic you'll eventually find out that the D120 was originally called the D131 ( there is an early cut-sheet showing a "family" shot of all the early "D" designated transducers.

That model designation (D131 ) was eventually changed to the D120 ( rationalized ?? to better fit the naming conventions within that product family ) > while at the same time the D131 continued to be available ( though within a different grouping of products ).

One can easily find the different power ratings for comparison of the ( early - original paper hinged ) D131 to the later D120F ( or even the later D131 that had the updated linen surround ).

All the info I just mentioned is available on this site within the library.

BTW; gap sizes were never advertised on cut sheets ( that's more a "Pro" knowledge sort of thing > mostly available to reconers ).

No way for me to know that D131 is D120 paper surround. thanks for the information.

So it shows 25W RMS rating for the D131 which would be the paper surround version. Gee that is low.
    Now what about datasheet for the D120F ? Seemingly non-existing.

So what is the D120F rms power rating and peak rating ?. Web wisdom tries to sell me that it is a 100W RMS speaker.

K120 e.g. has 100W RMS Rating 150W peak, E120 150W RMS 300W peak all from datasheets, yet I do not know what the D120F ratings are. Can only find rumors no datasheets.

Cannot see much difference between the K120 and D120F. Cant belief the D120F would also be only 25W RMS.

Been a long time but my memory says the only difference between the K120 and the D120F was the paint job and the label.

Quote Originally Posted by retnev View Post
    No way for me to know that D131 is D120 paper surround. thanks for the information.

So it shows 25W RMS rating for the D131 which would be the paper surround version. Gee that is low.
    Now what about datasheet for the D120F ? Seemingly non-existing.

So what is the D120F rms power rating and peak rating ?. Web wisdom tries to sell me that it is a 100W RMS speaker.

K120 e.g. has 100W RMS Rating 150W peak, E120 150W RMS 300W peak all from datasheets, yet I do not know what the D120F ratings are. Can only find rumors no datasheets.

Cannot see much difference between the K120 and D120F. Cant belief the D120F would also be only 25W RMS.

If that is true it will mean the D120F is rated at 100W RMS continuous just like the K ?
    Sound wise I find not much difference between K120 and D120F so I tend to agree with you.
    Amazing that I cannot find a definte answer on the powerrating of the D120F.

The paper surround version equivalent to the D131 obviously is only rated 25W RMS which a previous contributor pointed out.
    With all the wild claims made on the web however, no wonder people blow the D120s so often.

The paper surround version equivalent to the D131 obviously is only rated 25W RMS which a previous contributor pointed out.
    With all the wild claims made on the web however, no wonder people blow the D120s so often.
    Well back in the day 25 watts was a decent amount of power.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page11.jpg

IIRC, 'better materials' meant adhesives that would survive better, but "watts" without further info is just marketing

I know the K120 is rated at 100W RMS Continuous. I have those datasheets.
    what I need is the Continues RMS rating for sa D120-F.

Had to be over 40w each to survive for long in a cranked Twin Reverb ... the second article may be more helpful (thanks Earl ... found a post from 2003)

https://pro.harman.com/insights/harm...of-jbl-fender/

http://www.jt30.com/usenet-articles/...f-history.html

Hi Earl,

RE Post # 4

I think the following pics might give you some additional "ammunition" to convince the OP. Regards,

Richard

Name:  IMG_1975_LI.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  118.8 KBName:  IMG_1978.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  147.9 KB

I thought Harvey Gerst a JBL engineer helped develop the D120F. I believe on this site there is some statements made by Harvey on this driver. Here is a link for some other information on D120F
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-after.526632/

Quote Originally Posted by retnev View Post
    Rob I am asking for datasheets for the D120F (cloth surrounds) and the D120 (paper surrounds)
    See Name:  d120F.jpeg
Views: 1005
Size:  69.7 KB

The paper surround version seemingly had lower power handling and reported to have a narrower coil gap.
    There is a lot of disinfo swirling around, so I want to get the straight facts, by looking at the datasheet fot the paper surround and cloth surround versions and comparing them.
    The Fender/JBL orange frame D120F as in your photo, is actually a K120.

Narrow gap all paper cone D120F does not exist. If they do, they're very rare. Harvey Gerst developed the D120F from the D131 to be a musical instrument speaker. That included opening up the gap to .057" and applying "goop" to the paper surround.

Here's a video I did recently on the orange frame Fender/JBL D120F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Pc73uHQl0

And a recent restoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5dFzHvlGE
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks,
    Now we are seemingly getting somewhere.
    So D131 aside, you claim the D120F is actually just a K120.
    Meaning it is a 100W rms continuous, 200W peak speaker.

Do you have a source for this information, or did you hear it from someone.
    I just want to make sure it is defined somewhere by JBL or in a datasheet.

When JBL supplied the D120F to Fender, they must have given them some official specifications or a datasheet. else fender would not know in which amplifier to use it within it's power rating. the web wisdom is all over the place..

Nice videos.
    I used E120 (150WRMS/300Wpeak) coil/former to recone my latest D120F. Sounds absolutely spectacular.
    Using the E120 coil/former (150Wrms/300Wpeak) I am sure of at least 100W rms continuous rating.

Regarding the aluminum former.
    I have some lying around here but think they are Waldom (VC9500) printed on former)
    Did JBL ever use Aluminum formers and if so, which years and models ?
    That will make a huge difference in the upper frequencies.

Thread Information