Thread: Crazy About Color

Crazy About Color

It drives me mad! Ever wonder if we might ever get the JBL blue nailed down?

Finding houses with a great paint color combination and knowing that I will never be able to nail it down unless whoever lives there might take the trouble to tell me, if they even know is also maddening.

Well, since I am a tool guy, I bought this neat gadget called a Nix. The Pro 2 version, and, it’s pretty amazing. I have tortured it to find it’s weaknesses and after sorting them out, using it is a joy if you’re crazy for color like me.

Below are three different scans of the faces of my 4365’s. The first is with the five brands I chose that I commonly work with and it shows the excellent matches. The blue on these monitors is considerable cast back compared to the Blue of yesteryear but it’s definitely blue despite how it may render from NIX to iPhone to the Lansing site to your monitor.

The second is the color chroma in just about every format one would need for buying paint, vinyl wrap or?

The third is the dedicated PPG app. PPG is a favorite brand of mine and as you can see, there is no excellent match in PPG.

I have the complete PPG color pallet. My first test was to scan this color pallet until I was satisfied that the Nix was accurate. After seven pages and getting 100% correlation ie it never missed, I called it good enough.

We have used it to match paint in two houses so far and it is spot on and I mean dead on, first time both times. That just doesn't happen.

NIX has a library of paint brands of pretty much the free world over and if it helps anyone I will try to match the JBL blue to your favorite brand but any competent paint store should be able to exact match from the color chroma numbers.

It doesn’t have Ralph Loren much to my chagrin!

I will scan my 4350’s in a day or two and post the results as well.

All my best!
    Barry.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi Barry , here's my 2 cents.

The original finish had a good deal of spatter texture , that alone will give a visual change.
    Certainly the oldies had that Add in some years and there is a little fading which results in a slightly grey tinge.
    Add to that batch variation.
    On balance I feel that the spatter has the most influence.

Oddly I don't recall ever seeing the texture on the black fronts.

Good to see you back in the saddle , M

Do any of your samples shake hands with RAL5007 ?

Ironically, Eaulive bought PPG paint in RAL 5007 (Confinement Blues) and the formula on top of his can seems to be in yet a different format than any of those in your example.

I never realized there were so many color standards.

Thread Information